Questions Regarding an Overgrown Nail

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 clip my cats nails every two week and haven't had a problem. Yesterday when I went to clip them I found that he as 1 overgrown nail. It looks as if it hasn't been clipped in months!! It did NOT get into the pad, but close!

His nails are light colored and it looks like the quick is all the way down.I  trimmed the tiniest bit. I know if I trim it anymore it will hurt, and he will bleed.

So my question is, will his quick recede, or will I have to take him to the vet to get this taken care of?

Odd how it is just the one nail....

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if the quick will recede with regular tiny clipping but this is probably the kind of question you can call your vet and ask.  You are probably doing everything you can by clipping just a little bit at a time.  It is a very strange situation - I have never had my cat's quick extend like that.  Good luck with getting this resolved!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that when you clip dogs nails if you get fairly close to the quick, but not all the way, the quicks will recede. However, I have been told that this is because the sensitive quick goes back further as it touches the ground. Since cats usually have claws in, I am not sure if the quick can recede in the same way, or if it works as long as the cat is putting pressure on the quick by climbing and scratching.