questions on ear infections

jikin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

My girl cat, Ivanna, was diagnosed with a severe ear infection last Friday. It wasn't obvious before then, and the vet said that it was probably building up down below before finally bursting out that day. The only sign was a couple of days before she started yelling when I pilled her. I thought she might have a loose tooth. Suddenly on  Friday morning, she had discharge, a visible third eyelid, drooling, and was in obvious pain. Thankfully they had an appointment slot open!

They said it was pretty bad, and they couldn't see far enough in to have too much information. They gave her an injectable antibiotic that was to last 2-3 weeks in her system. They also gave her a pain killer that would last 2-3 days, and some fluids in case she had problems drinking or eating. I went home with a bottle of antibiotic solution to drop in her ears twice daily after cleaning.

Questions:

The first couple of days what was coming out of her ear was goopy, sticky, thick, brown stuff. As of yesterday, it has changed and is watery, clear-ish and slightly white. I assume this is a good sign?

The vet said that they will probably need to anesthetize her and clean out further in the ear and to cut out the polyps they expect to find in there. Is there a way for them to see if there are polyps before hand, or is it normal for the vet to just go in under the assumption?

The vet was very surprised that she had no head tilt and said that she would likely develop a permanent one. (she was also surprised at the lack or fever, but didn't mention if that would pop up). She also said she was likely to develop a droopy eyelid and paralysis on the one side of her face. So far, none of that has happened. What kind of timetable is normal for those thing occurring? Is it possible that if they didn't show up yet, that they might not?

They think she might be permanently deaf in that ear. I do know humans who have had severe ear infections who have recovered hearing. Do cats also occasionally recover hearing?

In the good news side of things, she is acting better. Friday was horrible, but she's up and about again, if a bit slower and more sleepy than normal. The only worry at the moment is she seems to be having a bit of issue eating, but does have an appetite. She's going back to the vet on Thursday, unless she stops eating. So far she nibbles a bit at a time, and probably is getting a bit less than normal, but she is eating and drinking.

Plus, she seems to love the ear/jaw rubs I have to give her after her drops. It's good that it doesn't hurt when I do that!

Last edited:

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If her ear is inflamed they can't see the polyps likely. For example she might have swelling above where the polyps are and so they can't get the scope down far enough. They will be able to once the infection is under control. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jikin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If her ear is inflamed they can't see the polyps likely. For example she might have swelling above where the polyps are and so they can't get the scope down far enough. They will be able to once the infection is under control. 
So, in theory, they should actually be trying to verify that there are actually polyps in there before putting her under and digging around? The way the vet worded it the other day, it just sounded like a foregone conclusion that they were going to have to put her under, and I thought it odd they wouldn't verify there was actually something there first. But I didn't know if they only way to verify was actually going in...

In good news: I found out last night that if I crushed her favorite treat into a powder that she would gobble it up. So, I crushed a day's worth of calories of it, and she ate most of it overnight. So, with what she had been nibbling during the day plus the powdered treats, she finally ate a full portion of calories for the first time since last Thursday. She noticeably had more energy this morning.

I know she's hungry enough and has an appetite, it's just a bit uncomfortable right now. The vet said the infection was probably behind her jaw, so eating is a bit difficult. 

catmom marcia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am assuming they need to treat the infection with the antibiotics before they can get a good look.  Putting her under would be less stressful for her - it's most likely just a light dose, just to make her snooze while doing deep probes with a scope which might be impossible if she is awake.  I hope she feels better soon.  Poor baby.

jikin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She had her followup last night.

In good news: a lot of the infection has drained out, and she's acting normal again!

We were actually discussing keeping her on the antibiotic ear drops for a few more weeks to see if it could clear up on its own. Then they did a ear flush while she was awake, which leads us to the bad news: they did spot a polyp in her middle ear. 

So, minor surgery it is. I was hoping to avoid that. 

Anyone out there ever had a polyp removed from their cat's ear before? I was told the list of things that could be a side effect: permanent head tilt, facial paralysis, droopy eyelid, uneven pupils, unbalanced gait....

If you've had it done: did your cat experience any of this? I know they have to warn me; I'm just wondering how frequent these issues actually are.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't done this yet with my cat with the middle ear polyp because my regular vet won't do the surgery. I was referred to someone who does more regular surgeries because her assumption was that instead of snipping the polyp from the ear, that they would have to go into the ear from outside on his head, just under the ear. So for now, just keeping the ear clean with the flushes.

jikin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good luck with your cat,Laura Mae! Hopefully that works our well!

I received a call from the vet when I got home from work. The blood tests were showing her in the diabetic range! We discussed it, and since she is showing no symptoms they will go ahead with the surgery. They think she might actually be borderline, and the stress plus diet change might have set her over the edge. There's also a possibility that the infection could be causing it

She doesn't want to put her on insulin, thankfully. But she'll be retested before the surgery.

Last edited: