Questions From A New Member: Meds And Senior Cat

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I've just joined the site as one of my cats, Carter who is 17 has been diagnosed with arthritis in his hips and back legs and an over active thyroid gland. He's been prescribed medication and the various treatment options available for his thyroid issue are being discussed. One option is non surgical removal of the thyroid and that involves something like a minimum of 8 weeks in a vet surgery under 24 hour care. I assume that as it involves radioactive medication that not all vet surgeries are allowed to do this. I think that being separated from us would cause more mental distress and totally undermine any physical good it does. We are thinking of the daily medication route. His arthritis medication slightly worried me. It's Temgesic and that's an synthetic opiate used in the UK for drug addiction. It's very strong and knocks him out. Can medications that cause dependency in humans also do that in cats? I've read so many conflicting things online that I thought I'd ask here. Also joining the site gives me an outlet for my cat photos as only me and my partner seem to appreciate them! Any advice about thyroid, arthritis and relevant treatment for them all would be appreciated. Thank you and hope to speak on the site again.
Gaven

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the Forum! This is a great site, with lots of great cats - and people too, ha haaa. And so much knowledge among us, that someone can always help with ideas and suggestions.

For a cat age 17, I would just do the medication. Having him separated from all of you is going to be stressful, as you said. Plus, once the thyroid is removed then he still needs medication daily to make up for the lack of thyroid. So you really don't gain a lot. I've given a pill daily for thyroid for a couple of cats over the years, they seem to respond well. And now I think there is an ear patch as well for the medication. I've not used that method though.

I'm sure other members will post with more info.

I'll be looking for your cat pics!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I'm sure everyone would love to see pictures of your cats!

I agree with freedom, putting a 17-year-old cat through surgery when there are other treatment options sounds unnecessarily stressful and risky. What does your vet think is the best course of action?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys for the welcome and the advice. I will pop some photos up later. I think my entire iPhone memory is taken up with cat photos. I think my partner and I have about four photos of us together and a thousand with one or both cats. Hugo who is the youngest has grown up with phones being pointed in his direction so really does play up to the camera. He has a distinct Facebook pose but Carter, with 17 years of wisdom and feline suspicion isn't a fan!
Thanks again!

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is Hugo Stiglitz. He is four and we've had him since he was eight weeks. He's classed as a Medium Haired Tabby but has every conceivable tabby pattern going! At two weeks old he was almost double the size of his two siblings and has grown into a magnificent animal. I've seen small Maine Coons that are the same size as him. He is named after a Quentin Tarantino film character and a Mexican Actor.

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
image.jpeg

And the seventeen year old Carter. When we bought him in 2000 we were told that he was half Burmese. He does have that throaty Burmese meow. He is a beautiful creature and the boss of the house. I was really worried when we got Hugo that he wouldn't like him but Carters fatherly instincts kicked in and they are inseparable. We are going down the daily medication route for his thyroid trouble as its the least traumatic. The idea of him being locked up in a vet surgery for eight weeks undergoing treatment just doesn't make sense

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. ... His arthritis medication slightly worried me. It's Temgesic and that's an synthetic opiate used in the UK for drug addiction. It's very strong and knocks him out. Can medications that cause dependency in humans also do that in cats? I've read so many conflicting things online that I thought I'd ask here. ...
Gaven
Welcome to the site! Your cats are very handsome! :winkcat:

Yes, opiates can cause dependency in cats, too. Your vet should have Carter's "particulars" (weight, health, what his blood work shows, how much pain Carter might be in, etc.) in order to prescribe the right amount. If the initial dose causes some effects that either you/your partner and the vet don't want to see happening (e.g. maybe it's just a bit too high of a dose for his metabolism), you can try lesser dose amounts to try to find a dose which makes Carter comfortable but also not too "comatose". Or you can try another pain med. Some cats really react to meds in strong ways, and even just lowering the dose lets you reach that sweet spot for Carter. But, yes, they are addictive. Carter is 17, though -- he may live for years still, or he may not live long. You want him to not feel a ton of pain, if you can help it. But keep careful watch on the health of kidneys and liver. You also don't want a cat who just cannot cope with processing a med.

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
image.jpeg
Carter and Hugo after Carters trip to the vets. They hate the vets so much that even a glimpse of the cat carrier causes them to run and hide. Since Carter has been unwell Hugo has stayed close to him day and night

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Carter is now getting the medication he needs for his thyroid and his arthritis. He's in metacam for the arthritis that seems to be less intense than Temgesic and doesn't leave him semi comatose. His thyroid medication is Thiamazole. Both are in liquid form and in three days he is a changed cat. His appetite has increased so hopefully he wil put some weight back on and he's mobile and agile and doesn't have the awkward posture he had before. It's amazing that the effects can be seen so quickly. His fur has a gloss again and he isn't losing loads when brushed. Thank you all for your wise words and support. Has anybody had any issues with their car insurance providers? I was informed that mine only covers accidents but nowhere have I ever seen that stated. Both cats are insured by Sainsburys pet insurance. Carter has been with them for 14 years and Hugo since he arrived at 8 weeks in March 2014. Hugo is £9.99 a month but Carter is £69.99 a month. When we got him his paperwork said that he had been diagnosed with a heart murmur. We were told this is the reason for the huge monthly cost. I've searched online for an explanation but am nine the wiser! Is it standard practice for cat insurance to rise dramatically as a cat ages and to start fairly high because of a vague diagnosis on a 17 year old piece of paper from the owners of his Burmese mum? I think his mum was a well to do show cat who ran off with the local Tom cat hence the papers and half Burmese label! In 2001 he was £200 if I remember and that was at a time when kittens were selling for £30-40 in good pet shops. Thanks again you wonderful cat people for the kind words, sound advice and compliments for my lovely cats!

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Here's Carter on his favourite sofa in the conservatory. We had the conservatory built in September last year and treated ourselves to new sofas with these big ideas about sitting out there in the evening, having dinner and a glass of wine. Since it was finished it's become the number one hangout place for the cats. I watched a video on YouTube about extreme pet houses where people has spent from £1000-100000+ on houses for their cats and dogs. I was initially amazed but then thought I've done exactly the same thing! I think I they spend between 6-8 hours a day out there. Usually together with one on each sofa. They have claimed it as their own and actually look annoyed when we try and make use of it. Part of me can't believe that they've hoodwinked us into providing them with the ultimate man/cat cave but seeing them hanging out and watching their friendship develop brings a lot joy to this house.
image.jpeg

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry folks! I've loaded multiple copies of these photos. I'm having a few issues with my phones screen sensitivity and pretty much any website I view on it. My iPhone hates any news sites and all of the big supermarkets in the UK. Online shopping with Tesco is impossible on my iPhone and iPad so can only be done when I'm at home

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
image.jpeg
These seem to be the new best thing in the house for cats at the moment. Tesco own brand cat chew sticks. I think they are £0.79 for 10. I may be wrong and it might 7 in a pack. They are remarkably similar in every way to the cheap Pepparami type snacks that were around when u was a kid in the late 80s. I refer to the non branded type that one stop convenience shops sold and that my mum refused point blank to let me eat!
I am guilty of giving Hugo more than one on occasion. At the moment both cats are crazy about them. The only thing that tops these are Webbox Lick-e-licks. And maybe a selection of shrimp or other seafood or rare roast beef. In fact any Sunday roast meat! I've tried not to think too much about what's in these sticks and concentrated in the absolute pleasure they get from eating them. Everything in moderation so until they grow tired of them or I discover something new these will remain as the end of day treats for cats at my house! Of course if we win the lottery, move to a seafront house and have fresh seafood delivered daily then these may fade away! I'd obviously have to buy a lottery ticket first.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are those handsome cats again!! :wave2:

View attachment 177699 View attachment 177698 View attachment 177699 Here's Carter on his favourite sofa in the conservatory. We had the conservatory built in September last year and treated ourselves to new sofas with these big ideas about sitting out there in the evening, having dinner and a glass of wine. Since it was finished it's become the number one hangout place for the cats. ... I think I they spend between 6-8 hours a day out there. ... They have claimed it as their own and actually look annoyed when we try and make use of it. Part of me can't believe that they've hoodwinked us into providing them with the ultimate man/cat cave ... View attachment 177698
Don't you know that part of the deal was that you sit up on the top of their old cat tree with your wine, while they get full use of the sofas in the conservatory??!!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Carter is now getting the medication he needs for his thyroid and his arthritis. He's in metacam for the arthritis that seems to be less intense than Temgesic and doesn't leave him semi comatose. His thyroid medication is Thiamazole. Both are in liquid form and in three days he is a changed cat. His appetite has increased so hopefully he wil put some weight back on and he's mobile and agile and doesn't have the awkward posture he had before. It's amazing that the effects can be seen so quickly. His fur has a gloss again and he isn't losing loads when brushed. Thank you all for your wise words and support. ...
So great to hear Carter has been doing better!

It sounds like Carter's vet feels that your cat's kidneys can handle taking metacam, an NSAID (a strong one) ... but do keep a watchful eye out for any possible side effects! With Carter being 17, his kidneys aren't as young as they were when he was 3 years old.
:einstein:

I think there have been different anecdotes and also metacam dosages and opinions/observations in the US regarding metacam use with cats (different from Canada, Europe, etc), so with that in mind, understand that the word, metacam, can send some Americans into a panic
sm-129.gif

I've been known to do so in another thread over this drug but this was with me using the FDA's information on the use of it in cats. I have to understand that, in some ways, the worldwide jury still seems to be out regarding what format and what amount of dose is best for the cats.

There was a vet on the web a while back (> Link: no longer posting her experiences ) who had written this post regarding metacam
Metacam for cats - safe? Meloxicam safety. Renal failure concerns?

I don't have any connection to her, nor do I know much of her background, but it gives "both sides" from her perspective, so I post it here just to give you the awareness that you'll need to monitor 17-yr-old Carter's kidneys closely for any related symptoms. You do need to make sure the kidneys are processing this medicine well, so keep a close check on that with your vet. Some cats do great on this; some don't. Experiences vary. Sounds like he is much better at the moment! :redheartpump: You will need to be Carter's advocate, and pay close attention! :blackcat: :hugs:

Every drug can have side effects, so contact your vet straightaway if Carter has any issues.

Keep the photos coming!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Gaven. My 15yo was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and arthritis. She was on a daily tablet that worked well (not the same as yours) and also metacam that enabled her to be more mobile.
Have you tried Webbox sticks, softer than Tesco own brand.

Same problem as you with the conservatory, it was finished last week but I don't stand a chance of sitting on the setter although my three cats do allow me in there.

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. The Webbox sticks are another real favourite and we grab them when we can but my local Tesco and Sainsburys rarely have them. Carter loves them as they are softer while Hugo prefers the more rubbery Tesco own brand. While Barnet in NW London is a lovely place to live it's shops leave a lot to be desired. I'm ordering stuff like Lick-e-licks online at the moment just to keep a regular supply going. While my local Tesco has a really bad range of cat treats I did find Encore Chicken and Wild Brown Rice Cat Food. I've never seen my cats plough through pet food like they did with this. It's about £1 a sachet and looks nothing like pet food. In fact it's wild brown rice with white chicken meat and a light sauce. I've been served worse looking and smelling food in restaurants. Be checked on Amazon and their range has ingredients like white bait and shrimp or cat treat sticks that are made from half a mackerel fillet. It's the first sachet food I've bought where they eat the whole plate. Although it looks quite expensive when you consider what they waste with other cheaper foods it actually works out the same. Just saw 16 sachets of Encore on Amazon at £12-13.
I live in a small dead end street that has a really lovely community feel to it. Everybody knows everybody else and has no traffic going through it. There are loads of people with cats so everybody drives very slowly in and out if the road. This peaceful existence is being threatened by a developer who wants to build flats on a small piece of land at the end of our road. There's the potential for another 60 plus cars going in and out as well as the all the building traffic if it goes ahead. I'm sort of glad that the cats have adopted the conservatory as it means they are in and safe rather than out in the garden with access to the front and the road. We've had a new fence put up at the back and are seriously considering having something out up to completely enclose the back garden but in a not so obvious, cat proof way. If this developer gets planning permission and building goes ahead the front will not be safe for any of the streets cats or children.
The Japanese box loving cat Maru has some really cool looking fences in his garden in some of the videos on YouTube. It keeps him in and safe yet doesn't block off everything. Until we know 100% I'll be encouraging the cats to be temporary stay at home boys and indulging their every whim! Looking at fence prices makes me think I'll have to get a second job too!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Such a shame when developers spoil a quiet location, yours sounds really lovely. Lets hope planning is refused. I live in a quiet welsh village although it is only a mile from the town but there are 5 houses only so not too much traffic but we do have foxes so I don't let my cats out in the night. Curfew is 5/6 pm.

It can be a nightmare buying good food. I have tried grain free wet and dry but they don't like it, they seem to be junk food kids. I agree that some of the cat food does look and smell good...worrying isn't it. Applaws is one of those and so is encore. Now and again they are on offer so I stock up.

I hope you manage to secure your garden for the cats and your peace of mind. They seem to be better at it in the US than in the UK.

I hope you manage to get some time in your conservatory; the time to worry is when the cats start to drink your wine.

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
image.jpeg

Carter was slightly annoyed to be woken up with a phone in his face after a blissful sleep in the house of mouse!

What really worries me in London is that developers apply for planning permission, you get a few A4 sheets through your door with their proposals and the local paper devotes a page to it too but before any permission is granted preparation work starts. It's as if planning permission is just a formality. If the flats are built a lot of people's peaceful lives will be changed for the worse.
My cats have a 7pm curfew in the spring and summer and seem to be in most of the day and done by 3pm from October to March. Definite fair weather cats! It was grey and overcast today so it was a conservatory day!