Questions about Wet Food

sphynxkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is wet food easier to digest than dry? And does it cause softer stools? I wonder if I changed to giving my little girl soft food(when she feels better)that she will digest it better, and not have so many stools per day, currently 6 or more (could be because of the bacteria problem, inflamed intestines) on the Iams multi-cat dry, breeder reccomended.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Skittles stools are softer now she is eating so much wet. I have not noticed having more stools. I do know she seems to be doing better. No gas which was awful. I feed nutro dry and nutro wet sometimes frisky or fancy feast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sphynxkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I better wait and see what happens with her bacteria leveling off. She already has soft stools(something I'm hoping to change)and sometimes diarrhea. I'd hate to make it worse. Thanks for your reply.

sphynxkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will be asking the vet, as soon as he gets back to me(waiting 4 hrs now!) Just thought I'd ask those of you that feed wet food, so I could hear of your personal experiences. Thanks

sphynxkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did, he's at lunch. He must not think the blood in the stool is urgent?? With my luck he'll call when I leave for work.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I honestly didn't see a difference in the stool when we started feeding Bijou and Mika more wet. They now only get about 1/4 - 1/2 cup per day of dry that they share. Mika prefers the dry and Bijou prefers wet. The consensus is that wet food is better for them than dry and that is why I've started feeding wet. It seems to be particularly true for neutered males as the dry often causes urine crystals. My vet also told me that cheaper wet foods will contribute to crystals - I don't know for sure, but to be safe I've checked out different brands and bought several with no by-products to try until I found the one they would eat.

When switching foods and brands it is not unusual to experience your kitties having a bit of diarrhea. Usually it's best to switch gradually, i.e., keep adding a bit of the new food to the current food and increasing the amount per day over about 2 weeks. As I said, we've been lucky in that we have been able to just abruptly switch with no problems for either cat.

You really must post pictures of your baby. A lady in our area just recently got a sphynx and will be getting another one very soon to keep the first one company. She's totally in love with her sphynx cat.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once you have restored the proper bacterial balance in the gut, the stool will firm up on it's own. Since the fecal exams you had performed (and mentioned in your other thread) were negative for internal parasites, then try giving Baby a little plain yogurt with active cultures to soothe her little system.

You may also try to boil a little boneless, skinless chicken breast in water only, no onions, no veggies, no salt or other seasonings, and mix it with a little cooked and cooled rice (do not use instant or those dreadful pouches - get the real deal) in your blender or food processor. Thin it with the cooled water the chicken boiled in and serve it to Baby to help bind her up a little.

sphynxkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Once you have restored the proper bacterial balance in the gut, the stool will firm up on it's own. Since the fecal exams you had performed (and mentioned in your other thread) were negative for internal parasites, then try giving Baby a little plain yogurt with active cultures to soothe her little system.

You may also try to boil a little boneless, skinless chicken breast in water only, no onions, no veggies, no salt or other seasonings, and mix it with a little cooked and cooled rice (do not use instant or those dreadful pouches - get the real deal) in your blender or food processor. Thin it with the cooled water the chicken boiled in and serve it to Baby to help bind her up a little.
How much yogurt should I add to her food? And should it be done daily, all at once, or add a bit at different times of the day? She is almost 4 months old, and at last weigh in was 2lbs, if that has any baring on the ammount. Thanks again, for your help.

sphynxkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

You really must post pictures of your baby.
How do I post pictures. I'm not very good on the computer, but I'll try to add some later, if I can figure it out. Thank you for your reply, and letting me know of your experiences with your kitties on wet food.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sphynxkitten

How much yogurt should I add to her food? And should it be done daily, all at once, or add a bit at different times of the day? She is almost 4 months old, and at last weigh in was 2lbs, if that has any baring on the ammount. Thanks again, for your help.
I just usually spoon a little of the yogurt into a dish and dip my fingers in it, then let the cats lick my fingers. You can try starting out with a couple of fingers-full *grin* twice per day, once in the morning and again in the evening.

Hope this helps,

~gf~

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The boiled chicken and rice mixture is also very, very good for kitties of all ages when a little case of poopy butt happens. The chicken is soothing to the digestive tract, the rice helps to bind things up and the water used to thin it helps with hydration. I highly recommend it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

The boiled chicken and rice mixture is also very, very good for kitties of all ages when a little case of poopy butt happens. The chicken is soothing to the digestive tract, the rice helps to bind things up and the water used to thin it helps with hydration. I highly recommend it.
Me too and it works for humans and dogs as well