Questions About Transitioning To Raw Food

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I have a couple different threads going in the health section where I explain what's going on with my cat so I'm not gonna repeat it here. Basically, I'm transitioning her to raw food & have a couple questions! She was transitioned from dry food to canned food a couple months ago, she loves canned food. Unfortunately she's been having tummy troubles lately, so I decided to try raw food to see if anything dietary is causing it. I started to offer her a little bit of raw food Friday night & she was unsure, just sniffed it & batted at it with her paw. Later that night I offered her a bit more, along with her regular food, and she gave it a couple sniffs & licks, and started to eat a little bit of it. This morning I offered her a little bit more before her regular breakfast of canned food, and she gobbled it up which is awesome.

So my question is, if she is eating the raw food in the right amounts, should I still offer her the canned food? She is a little underweight so I'm not worried about overfeeding, but I don't want to upset her tummy by not transitioning gently enough. I know that you're supposed to transition over the course of a week, but if she is eating the raw food & doesn't seem to be having any bad reactions to it, is it okay to just start offering only raw food?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give it a few more days and watch her poop. I wouldn't increase amounts too fast. Some cats are okay with quick transitions but I've had instances where I've slowly transitioned for a couple days and then got overzealous and decided to just give a lot more of the new food -- bad idea, it caused diarrhea. Patience is key!

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it really depends on your cat - Saipha has a stomach of iron and can tolerate very quick transitions, so I switched her over within a day and she did fine. If your cat has a history of GI upsets, I would go slower.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both!

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your cat sometimes makes the decision. Mine has a sensitive stomach. When I started her on raw she loved it. Then she looked at cans like I was feeding her gruel. So go with others suggestions unless she stops touching the canned. Then you go straight raw because they must eat.