Questions about supplements

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sophie has slippery elm bark twice a week, Tuesdays and Saturdays. I want to keep her on SEB for a while as it seems to help her (she had fresh blood on her stool and vets did not find the cause and their treatments did not work - dewormers, bezo-pet, sulfasalazine).

I want to add probiotics and digestive enzymes to her diet, but I know SEB interferes with meds and nutrients absorbtion, so I am not sure when to give them to her. She has three meals a day, and on Tuesdays and Saturdays she has SEB with breakfast and dinner. If you have experience in using supplements, please share. My vets (2 different clinics with 2 vets each) never heard of SEB, so they are not a great information source. Great surgeons and great in recommending antibiotics, but nutrition wise, they recommend science diet and royal canin diet. Kibble.

ETA: I forgot to add that every afternoon she receives salmon oil and vitamins. This is just temporary though, I have not decided about the salmon oil, but we will finish with the vitamins in a week or so.

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is an article about nutritional supplements for cats. This assumes your cat is healthy, with no predisposition to health issues.
I forget--are you feeding raw or wet or dry? In any case, here is a thread about supplements to consider adding if you're feeding raw.
Probiotics can interfer with antibiotics. When Ritz had to take antibiotics for a UTI, I made sure there was at least two hours between the time I gave her a probiotic and an antibiotic. Next time I would probably skip the probiotic all together, just to make sure the antibiotic is effective.
I fed raw (frakenprey/whole prey raw). I supplement with Krill oil a few times a week, and occasionally a tiny piece of cooked egg yolk (cooked because I eat cooked egg white). In the spring/summer, I will probably resume giving Ritz Egg Yolk Lechitin because for the first time, she had a problem with hairballs. I don't add extra vitamins (in the USA, Alnutrin is popular.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply and for the links. 

Harley and Amelie eat wet and I plan to introduce raw (they already have ray from time to time as treat and they love it), but Sophie... well... she is very stubborn and I am very weak, so in a good day she will have 50% wet 50% dry.

Sophie has a very poor appetite and her blood work revealed a low amylase level (103, when normal was 370-1200). Vets said it is not medically relevant and she is otherwise healthy, but I am thinking that some probiotics and digestive enzymes could not hurt. However, I am not giving them to her yet. I want to do some more research. I will be at home starting with the 20th of December and, if I decide in starting her on supplements, I want to monitor her closely.