Questions About Our 4 Week Old Kittens And Momma

Harriet2017

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat had 3 kittens 4 weeks and 1 day ago. I think she may be consuming any waste from the kittens, I brought in a small size litter pan so she can introduce them to it even though I have seen NO piles or puddles of anything what so ever, in the room they stay in. The momma (Hariett) jumps the kiddie gate and goes to the washroom to use her litter box, I had put it in the room she picked to have the babies but she did not want it in there so I moved it back to it's spot in the washroom. Anyway I am rambling on, what I am really wondering about is how would they get worms how will I know if they have worms. Also they are still ONLY nursing, that's something else I brought in a small dish of softened kitten food they wanted nothing to do with it & momma ended up eating it. So if she NEVER leaves the house how would they get worms?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
H Harriet2017

Kittens are more ready to wean to soft foods at 5-6 weeks.

Once they are eating you can begin putting them in the litter box before and after meals.

They are a little young yet.

If mom has no worms or fleas then the kittens will not.

Unless you are having issues, the kittens can be wormed at 8 weeks when they see the vet for their first vaccines.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has the mom been outside, though? If so, she is more likely to have been exposed to parasites.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If mom has ever had roundworms, even as a kitten, the kittens can get them from her milk. They can be dormant in her body until pregnancy wakes them up, so to speak. That's why all kittens normally get wormed when they have their first vaccines. No need to worry about it yet, though. If mom is an indoor cat there won't be a heavy infestation and you likely won't see any evidence of worms.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Correct inside only may never have worms. Round worms may go down with mommas milk - if she has. Tape worms they ca get from fleas if infested.