Questions about my new kitten (biting and urination related)

macatowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I got a new kitten about a month ago. He's about 8-10 weeks old now. He's a good kitten, but there are a couple of problems I'd like help with if anyone knows of any solutions.

1. He bites my other cat (about 7 years old) on the legs. I usually separate them when this happens, but when he gets playful, he bites my other cat's legs for some reason.

2. He seems to be inconsistent with using the litter box. Sometimes he uses it, I know because I've seen him. But occasionally I will find feces and/or urine hidden in other areas of my house. For example, he pooped in a hidden corner of my bedroom on a duffel bag and he's peed a couple of times in my closet where I keep towels.

If anyone knows of any way I can help him get over these problems, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does the older cat do? I suspect he'll teach the little one what's ok in play, and what's not.

How many litter boxes do you have, and are they easy for the little one to get in? Sometimes, especially so young, they just don't realize to allow enough time to get to the box, and a full size box may be just too hard to climb into. Have you tried Kitten Attract litter? It's the same line as Cat Attract litter. Also, it's usually recommended you use an enzyme cleaner at accident locations; otherwise, the little one may think it's just another good place to potty. The big cat lets the little one go potty - doesn't guard any of the boxes from the little one?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macatowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When the kitten bites the older cat on the legs, the older cat runs away from him, usually into another room.

Occasionally, the kitten will also try to wrestle with the older cat. The older cat usually wrestles back for a minute but then stops and runs away as well.

As far as I can tell, the older cat does not guard the litter box. I may try the Kitten Attract litter to see if that helps. Can that be found at stores like Petco?

tabster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you have 2 cats most people would say you need 3 litter boxes. You might be able to get away with just 2 litter boxes but definitely not 1. Have one on each floor or on separate sides of the house.

The biting sounds like he is playing.