Questions about introducing new cat

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are contemplating keeping a cat who was abandoned near our house a few weeks ago.
I have taken her to the vet, and have had her spayed , vaccinated, treated for fleas, and tested for FIV and FelV. She has a clean bill of health.

We did gradual introductions (ten days) to our resident cat, who is very gentle and sweet. New cat is estimated to be a year old, resident cat is three and was neutered as a kitten.

We let the new cat out of her room a few times today. So far all I have seen is some chasing and swatting. The new cat pounced on the old one's back once.

I have a few questions with which I would really appreciate some help:

1. It seems cruel to confine the new cat after letting her roam around for a while, but I don't want that two cats alone without supervision. I returned her to her room after her roaming sessions today. I heard her cry a few times. Is it ok if I continue to let her out so she can explore the house and interact with our resident cat, then confine her in the room again? I am especially worried about leaving them alone at night or when I am at work.

2. How can I tell when they are comfortable enough to be safely left alone together?

3. Resident cat is Persian. New cat is shorthair. New cat does most of the swatting. How can I tell if she is drawing blood? Resident cat is very furry and long-haired.

4. Resident cat is not a picky eater, but is a grazer. New cat is permanently famished. Our vet wants me to feed her only twice a day and considers her close to her ideal weight. How do I prevent her from eating resident cat's food? Will he stop grazing once he realizes that she will eat his food if he doesn't?

Thanks in advance for advice.

I am worried about my resident cat, because he has feline herpes. He hasn't had an outbreak in over a year, and I don't want to cause one.

On the other hand, I would rather not rehome the new cat, because she has already been abandoned once.

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are contemplating keeping a cat who was abandoned near our house a few weeks ago.
I have taken her to the vet, and have had her spayed , vaccinated, treated for fleas, and tested for FIV and FelV. She has a clean bill of health.

We did gradual introductions (ten days) to our resident cat, who is very gentle and sweet. New cat is estimated to be a year old, resident cat is three and was neutered as a kitten.

We let the new cat out of her room a few times today. So far all I have seen is some chasing and swatting. The new cat pounced on the old one's back once.

I have a few questions with which I would really appreciate some help:

1. It seems cruel to confine the new cat after letting her roam around for a while, but I don't want that two cats alone without supervision. I returned her to her room after her roaming sessions today. I heard her cry a few times. Is it ok if I continue to let her out so she can explore the house and interact with our resident cat, then confine her in the room again? I am especially worried about leaving them alone at night or when I am at work.

2. How can I tell when they are comfortable enough to be safely left alone together?

3. Resident cat is Persian. New cat is shorthair. New cat does most of the swatting. How can I tell if she is drawing blood? Resident cat is very furry and long-haired.

4. Resident cat is not a picky eater, but is a grazer. New cat is permanently famished. Our vet wants me to feed her only twice a day and considers her close to her ideal weight. How do I prevent her from eating resident cat's food? Will he stop grazing once he realizes that she will eat his food if he doesn't?

Thanks in advance for advice.

I am worried about my resident cat, because he has feline herpes. He hasn't had an outbreak in over a year, and I don't want to cause one.

On the other hand, I would rather not rehome the new cat, because she has already been abandoned once.
I'll just answer your questions one by one since it is easier that way. I'm at the end of an introduction with my third cat right now. 

1. While it may seem cruel, it is for her best interest to be allowed to roam and then be put away when you can't supervise. She will be upset about being confined, but it is only for a short time, so no worries.

2. That's a challenging question. I waited until no one was really dong too much angry growling and chasing. There is still some hissing if someone tries to play too rough, but its not fur flying angry fighting or anything where someone might get hurt. In the end, we just left ours alone for a few short hours and then started leaving them for longer and longer.

3. It is unlikely they will get to break skin if you are supervising. Is the resident cat dark colored? If the cats were to break the skin, you'd notice since blood would get on the ground or something probably. 

4. I don't know a good way to prevent it short of buying a special feeder that recognizes one cats microchip. We feed meals only so the cats have to eat food when they're fed or they don't get it since another cats eat it. They've learned to eat their meals this way. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for the detailed response.

They have moved on to ignoring each other now. It doesn't help that the new cat insists on sitting in our resident cat's favorite spots.

My main motivation for keeping the new cat is having company for our resident cat. I have a few homes lined up for her, but feel bad about rehiring her after she was abandoned once. Unless they become friendly, I've made a lot of extra work for myself with no benefit, but lots of aggravation, to our cat.

neela307

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Switch rooms a little bit when you're not home, put the resident cat in the new ones room and vice versa. If they are ignoring each other that's great (two months and going strong with fights in my house. Hope it doesn't stay that way for years). When it comes to feeding they should both have a schedule. Don't free feed. Feed them together and if you are afraid the other cat will steal food just feed them with a barrier in between. Give them treats together and play with them both when the other i s in the room (or play with them together if possible). You have to make as many positive associations with one another as possible.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice. I will try all of your suggestions.

Good luck with your furry fighters!

Switch rooms a little bit when you're not home, put the resident cat in the new ones room and vice versa. If they are ignoring each other that's great (two months and going strong with fights in my house. Hope it doesn't stay that way for years). When it comes to feeding they should both have a schedule. Don't free feed. Feed them together and if you are afraid the other cat will steal food just feed them with a barrier in between. Give them treats together and play with them both when the other i s in the room (or play with them together if possible). You have to make as many positive associations with one another as possible.

Good luck!