Questions About Inexperienced Cat Mom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes diarrhea is fully possible.

Lets hope its watery diarrhea because we dont want smelly discharges.

Smelly discharges often means infection and pus.

If its much diarrhea give her extra salts. Flavorless bough pedialyte or homemade.

Heavy breathing is hopefully afterpains.

But if your gut feeling says something is wrong, tske her to a vet for check up.

Peace of mind may cost, its good insurance.
do you think theres still a chance she might still have more? her stomache is still just as big as it was the other day
this is her first litter so it might be she doesnt know whats happening and isnt trying to get them out?

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so ive rung pets at home emergancy hotline and theyve been telling me scare stories of `even though she seems fine she might have a deformed unborn kitten in there rotting away and it could kill her in days you need to come now`

and when i asked whats the price if that was the case they said anything from 800 pounds which is like 1500 dollars, absolutly light years out of my range
they said the only other thing would be euthanasia!

what!?!!!!

its like theyve instantly assumed over the phone without even seeing my cat that something has gone horribly wrong

shes literally perfectly normal apart from an occasional smelly pooey discharge every few hours (more like a bit of dihrea than actual blood)

the cat is literally acting absolutly normal, eating, purring, scratching, playing with the other cat (all inside the house)

i only rang the vet to know why would a perfectly healthy in her prime cat have just one kitten with a fat tummy, as ive been panicking about it for the last 24 hours

what this vet told me has really scared me to the point of crying
and even though they said thats only a worse case scenario of if theres something stuck, i dont want to take it to them because looking up pets at home

Petsathome is rated "Bad" with 2.8 / 10 on Trustpilot

the amount of awful reviews of people saying these people have cost them their pets lives needlessly scares me

yet heres a vet from them on the phone saying `you need to bring her in , and if shes got one inside her dead its 800 pounds to remove or euthanasia she wont be able to leave without the decision`!!!

just so upset right now, please advise

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Where is the discharge coming from?
i havent checked, all it is is every few hours she seems to have flatulence - very smelly and a bit of excrement, almost like a tiny bit of explosive diharea

she has been fed a ton of food recently as was advised to feed her lots of high protein calcium wet food

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
C cihanthepanda You said 800 pounds, so I guess you're in the UK? There are cheaper places you can get your cat seen by a vet.

Google PDSA, RSPCA or Celia Hammond Animal Trust in your town and see if they have a branch nearby. Call them and ask how much they charge for an ultra sound. If you're on benefits you're entitled to cheaper vet care once you register with one of these organisations.

Eligibility

It is really hard to tell with cats whether they are in any pain or not. As I said, a few days between deliveries is not unheard of, but it sounds as if you're really stressing out about this. It would be better to get the cat checked by a vet, just to make sure everything is OK.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please try to calm yourself, they shouldn't have scared you like that with dire predictions. Like said before, if she was going to deliver more, or had one stuck, she wouldn't be acting so calm. Find a regular vet and ask their advise, not an emergency one that only sees emergency cases. An x-ray/office visit for him to feel her should be under 100.00 dollars, ask first for an estimate. As long as she is eating/drinking/ taking care of kitten, etc. she should be fine.

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Mary saturday night gave birth
i came on here panicking as to why it was only one
but almost three days on, she is fine, not labouring or trying to get more out, her stomache has gone flatter, and shes eating, feeding playing purring as normal
she is also being a good mummy to kitten whenever it cries it runs to help her
and she feeds with her, sleeps with her roughly 80 per cent of the day

So here we go
first of all the kitty
its VERY hard to get it right angle for photo got to be very delicate with her, so here is the best angle i could get

and then theres the mummy mary beautiful as always, just still slightly on the baggy side
but shes the most goregous fluffy black cat ever
13 months old
and best mummy in the world

now i have a couple of questions

is it normal that a big 13 months old healthy cat only has one kitten as its first litter?

and secondly, the kitten has its bilical? cord still
in a few hours it will be three days since she was born
is this normal?

much love!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
There is no "normal" number of kittens. Some cats have only one, some have 7 or 8.

The umbilical cord should fall off within the first 5-7 days. 3 days is a little early, but it does happen occasionally. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
also the kitten crawls around a lot it sometimes even crawls out of the pet blanket, it is really active, it does cry sometimes for milk but is this normal for it to crawl around so much after 3 days
omg the joy when i see this little baby is undescribable

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good if you weigh it every day to see it adds 10+ grammes each day.

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, we moved here relatively recently, and the only outside the cat ever goes in is backgarden with high walls

I went to open door for takeaway several hours ago and cat ran out into neighbors garden and then into another

Its been several hours now, its pitch black 3am and i cant be whistling shouting for her waking up the neighbours

It might come to nothing but what terrifies me is the cats newborn 5 day old kitten needs feeding regularly, whos going to feed it if shes run away

Shes never done this before the cat, sometimes she hides in attic and i cant find her for hours, but never outside the hours for hours and hours

She hates going outside too

Its pitchblack and raining and im quite frankly terrified

Not just for the cat but this newborn kitten

Please help

All my love

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert by any means, and I'm sure others will be along soon to help you out, but from what I've been reading about newborn kitten care on these forums, you should go and get powdered KMR (kitten milk replacement) and/or goat's milk as soon as stores open. It's probably a good idea to have this around even when the mother is around, just in case her milk runs out or another incident like this occurs.

I hope the mother returns soon, for your sake, the kitten's, and hers.

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To avoid incidents like these in the future you should have your cat spayed as soon as she can. Make sure to keep her securely indoors for now because she will try to escape and get pregnant again. In fact, she might even have gotten impregnated in the few hours she was gone.

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To avoid incidents like In fact, she might even have gotten impregnated in the few hours she was gone.
come on thats not possible
cats take time to like each other, they wouldnt just mate within a few hours
ive seen cats take days and days or w eeks just to bond and sit next to each other without hising

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats don’t need to like each other for biology to take over. I’m not saying she is pregnant but cats can get pregnant again shortly after giving birth and as you said she went further than usual. Please keep her entirely indoors and get her spayed or there will be more kittens.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
come on thats not possible
cats take time to like each other, they wouldnt just mate within a few hours
ive seen cats take days and days or w eeks just to bond and sit next to each other without hising
This is incorrect. A cat in heat will mate with any male and may mate immediately. They definitely do not need to get to know or like one another. Many, many a pregnant cat has slipped out for an hour and come back pregnant.

Five days after birth you cat is not yet in heat but five weeks from now she very well may be. If you allow her outside without getting her spayed you will likely have another litter on your hands a few months out.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a frightening experience. I'm glad to hear she came home. Just to be safe close the door to the kitten room whenever you open an outside door. As long as she has food, water, and her box she should be fine in there even if you're out for long.