Questions about IMHA and prednisolone

brooksie42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that has been diagnosed with IMHA around April. We first noticed issues with anemia around the end of February. He has had every test possible with the exception of a bone marrow aspiration. The short version of our journey is that he is on 10mg of Prednisolone and 2mg of Cyclosporine as of now. He was doing great at the beginning of June and had a set back from switching to liquid Prednisolone. I am fairly sure that it was the pharmacy's fault as is our veterinarian. I am wondering if cats can develop a tolerance to these two drugs. He seems to be feeling a little better but is not making the strides he was before the setback. I have read the threads on The Cat Site about other experiences with this and have spent countless hours researching, reading as much as I can but I am not able to find the answer. I will be emailing my vet later but was looking for folks who have had similar issues as the more information I have the better decisions I can make for my darling Tom Terrific. Thanks in advance.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There have been several cats here who have improved and gone into remission with Depo shots. It is a long lasting steroid. Normally I don't care for things that stay in the system but it seems to work for this. I remember we had one person who asked his vet about it. His vet was dubious but tried it. His kitty did go into remission.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brooksie42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that I have read that somewhere in previous threads. This is such a scary situation that I never dreamed we'd be facing. And Tom is so young, he was 11 months when diagnosed. I will speak to the doctor tomorrow and maybe bring him in for a blood test. He went from 40% (up from 12%) down to 20% two weeks ago. He is eating, drinking and going to the bathroom but it is clear he doesn't feel well. I have taken care of many cats in my life but have never dealt with a situation remotely like this one.Thanks for the idea, I really appreciate it.