Questions About Glitter On Christmas Tree

carliesykesss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my mom bought a Christmas tree and it’s covered in glitter. My cat isn’t crazy about the tree and doesn’t seem to want to associate with it but in case he does, will injesting glitter hurt him? I’m worried it will.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hadn't thought about the glitter probably because I have never had a tree that has it. Glitter is made from plastic coated in aluminum and then ground up. I don't think it would be poisonous unless eaten in large quantities. You do want to stay away from tinsel and ribbons. Cats always want to play with that and if eaten it can cause a bowel obstruction. Also if you string the lights yourself you want to have them wound tightly on the branches so kitty doesn't get them loose and play with though. Most prelit trees have the lights wound tightly on the branches. Some cats leave Christmas trees completely alone maybe your kitty will continue to do that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carliesykesss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I don’t have any ribbons or tinsel. I made sure of that.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, glitter is fine. Tinsel is bad because if they eat it, it can wrap around their intestines and slice them all up. But glitter isn't long like tinsel so it should move on through if they do accidentally ingest some.