Questions about FIP...

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Bengal Cats
We are infact breeders NOT vets. Some breeders know more than others. Some are still learning. So maybe she did not know. I am learning things everyday.

My cats are pets first and then breeders. Not all look at it this way but we do!
BRAVA!

bengal cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now, as far as other things that can cause fluid in the abdominal cavity (which is a classic symptom of FIP):
Bacterial Peritonitis
Chemical Peritonitis (pancreatitis, bile/urine Peritonitis)
Chylous effusions
some abdominal neoplasms
Liver desease (but this is more common in dogs than cats
Thanks Imagyne I did not know this. Like I said I am learning everyday.

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nicole, you're most welcome!

The way to really, tell though is for them to draw a sample of the fluid. Costly Im sure, but it would put them in a more focused direction. Unfortunately this is probably not something a vet will do, and I would think you'd have to go to a teaching hospital or something along those lines.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My reply is within your previous message (in bold text--can't miss it).

Originally posted by Bengal Cats
Jenk,

I do agree that you should have been told of illness.

But would you really want a replacement if you say all were exposed to coronavirus? I sure would not!

I *never* said that I want a "replacement" kitten. I told the breeder no. (I'm pretty sure I previously posted this info.) Considering that the vet thinks it to be FIP, I'm shocked beyond belief that the breeder would even suggest another kitten.

We are infact breeders NOT vets. Some breeders know more than others. Some are still learning. So maybe she did not know. I am learning things everyday.

True.

My cats are pets first and then breeders. Not all look at it this way but we do!

As for Bordetella it is a URI.

Yes, but the breeder did not know what had been ailing her cats when I got my kitten--what URI issue. (She told us it was a general cold.)

Bordetella bronchiseptica (B. bronchiseptica), a small, motile, aerobic Gram-negative bacillus which is involved in respiratory diseases in different animals including dogs where it causes tracheobronchitis (kennel cough, Appel and Binn 1987), and pigs where it contributes towards atrophic rhinitis (Magyar et al 1988 ). In 1991 the hypothesis was investigated that B. bronchiseptica could act as a primary respiratory pathogen in cats (Jacobs et al 1993) .

In the field B. bronchiseptica has been isolated from cats with respiratory disease in breeding colonies known to be free of both FHV and FCV (Elliot et al 1991). It is, therefore, becoming apparent that this bacterium plays a significant role in some cases of feline infectious URTD. Epidemiological studies show that B. bronchiseptica is widespread in the feline population with disease being related to periods of stress such as that experienced in breeding and boarding catteries and during pregnancy and parturition.

More info can be found here http://www.felinebb.info/index.asp?lan=EN
Thank you for the information.

jenk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As with my reply to Bengal Cats, my answers are in bold.

Originally posted by Imagyne
Jenk...

To be honest with you, I think there is very little you can do except to do what you can for the cat and hope that everything turns out okay.

*sigh* I know. I am doing everything within my power to help her.

Now, as far as other things that can cause fluid in the abdominal cavity (which is a classic symptom of FIP):

Bacterial Peritonitis
Chylous effusions
some abdominal neoplasms
Liver desease (but this is more common in dogs than cats)

Unfortunately, alot of vets will focus only on the obvious (FIP)

This Friday, I'm taking my baby to a naturopathic veterinarian who's well-respected and well-known in her field. I will bring with me your list of other possible causes for my kitten's symptoms. THANK YOU SO MUCH for giving me something else to possibly look for.

As for your comment on never buying from a breeder again.....

There are alot of bad breeders out there, just because they have a cute name and a website doesn't make them good.
But there are a heck of alot MORE good ethical breeders as well, and as with anything else it is incumbent upon the buyer to do ALOT of research about the breeder they choose. Even ones you've dealt with before.

I've said this before in this forum, You have to visit the cattery, talk to people who dealt with a breeder recently, talk to the breeders vet.

I realize that you guys do not know me well, but I am a tireless researcher; I researched cat breeds/ catteries for months before deciding upon my breed of choice/ cattery. The breeder came recommended by another well-respected breeder and had very good references. I also visited her cattery--made that LOOONG drive (prior to taking home my first cat--and found no signs of illness; her home was clean and had no overpowering litterbox smell. I did everything in my power to seek the best source that I could. It just seems that, nowadays, this cattery has run into some problems.

If a breeder give ANY objection to those then simply find another one.

Frankly, if potential customers don't want to come to our cattery and see what there kitten is coming from, the conditions of the cats in the cattery, then they won't get a kitten from us.

The point is that you have to be extremely proactive in choosing a breeder. I'm saying this because of the people here who will read this thread, so they know what they should look for.

jenk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Imagyne

Bacterial Peritonitis
Chylous effusions
some abdominal neoplasms
Liver desease (but this is more common in dogs than cats)

Unfortunately, alot of vets will focus only on the obvious (FIP)
Imagyne,

Do you happen to know if any one of these medical issues can cause all of the symptoms of "wet" FIP (my kitten has all but diarrhea, which we know she had at the breeder's home). She has the following symptoms:

1. extreme lethargy
2. fever (comes and goes, depending upon the day)
3. decreased appetite
4. weight loss (due to #3)
5. abdominal fluid build-up (no abdominal pain noted by me or the two vets)

Thank you.

bengal cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, but the breeder did not know what had been ailing her cats when I got my kitten--what URI issue. (She told us it was a general cold.)

My understanding of Bordatella is "cat flu" basically a cold. Maybe her cats were not showing signs. After all your vet passed the kitten for the 72 hour vet check as being healthy.

I will say it again. We are breeders NOT vets. So if she did not know what her cats were sick with well it happens. I have taken cats to the vet who have been sick and even my vet does not know the problem. We (vets and breeders) are human!

I wish you luck at finding the problem with your kitten. But I think you are out of luck on getting your money back.

Also if you are the same person who has posted to the Bengal L well then I know you are out of luck. That breeder is going out of breeding or so I am told. I do not know her just of her.

jenk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bengal Cats,

I'm not the person who "posted to the Bengal L".

bengal cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jenk I wish you luck. I sure hope this turns into a happy ending for you.

jenk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Bengal Cats.