Questions About Death Of Kitten

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i got rd of 3 kittens 3 months ago and one of the ladies who got one of them just messaged me and told me he died im even sad he was such a good sweet boy too

she told me he came in from playing and died in her lap its strange tbh.. she told me he was fine before usually poisoning they dont die till a day later or something she said he had no marks on him so he wasnt attacked i doubt she got him shots so maybe he could have died from worms? what do you think it could have been?he was about 5 months old

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
matt1991 matt1991 unless the kitten had outward signs of worms (visible spine/ribs, bloated pot belly) or signs of poisoning (lethargy, drooling, not eating, not walking in a straight line, etc.) I'm with the others, it could have been a congenital defect he was born with that lead to some kind of cardiac arrest. As much as it sucks, it happens. There's no way to tell for sure without an autopsy but some owners choose not to do this, and I understand.
I'm sorry for you, and the new owner too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
tbh the woman isnt giving me good info she just told me he died that he came inside from outside was in her lap and just died.... yeah... anyways she said it didnt have any wounds i had no idea cats can have heart attacks wtf? and at that age? what could have caused it? cause hell the cat in my profile pic is 4and 4 times hes been attacked by dogs that almost killed him he luckly didnt have one

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tbh the woman isnt giving me good info she just told me he died that he came inside from outside was in her lap and just died.... yeah... anyways she said it didnt have any wounds i had no idea cats can have heart attacks ***? and at that age? what could have caused it? cause hell the cat in my profile pic is 4and 4 times hes been attacked by dogs that almost killed him he luckly didnt have one
If the kitten was born with some kind of a heart defect, they can literally die over nothing. I've known two separate people who had very young cats that had this happen, they were playing and just...dropped dead. We had a cat die at 5 years old, after years of literal babying to keep his life stress free with this type of problem and one instance of being spooked by something innocent is what killed him.
If she's not giving you good info, she might be grieving or upset. I'm not accusing anyone (you or her) of anything at all, but if the diet she was feeding was somehow taurine deficient with no supplementation this could make a congenital defect worse. There's no real good answer, and that's what makes it suck..

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the kitten was born with some kind of a heart defect, they can literally die over nothing. I've known two separate people who had very young cats that had this happen, they were playing and just...dropped dead. We had a cat die at 5 years old, after years of literal babying to keep his life stress free with this type of problem and one instance of being spooked by something innocent is what killed him.
If she's not giving you good info, she might be grieving or upset. I'm not accusing anyone (you or her) of anything at all, but if the diet she was feeding was somehow taurine deficient with no supplementation this could make a congenital defect worse. There's no real good answer, and that's what makes it suck..

:( god that scare sme for my big boy festis in my profile.. hes almost 4 nowborn april 2015 i just hope the kitten didnt suffer i wish i could have kept him myself but i couldnt due to having to move around so much

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( god that scare sme for my big boy festis in my profile.. hes almost 4 nowborn april 2015 i just hope the kitten didnt suffer i wish i could have kept him myself but i couldnt due to having to move around so much
No need to be scared my friend.
It's unlikely he suffered if a heart defect is what caused this, and if he did it was for an instant....least that's what our vet has told us.
1 day old, or one day older than God, a loss of life is a sad happening and that little kitten had you and a new owner who has love invested in him, and that's what matters.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had got two 7 week old kittens from a woman that the mother cat died. I didn't know how at the time. Turns out, she had a heart attack and every other kitten in the litter eventually died from a heart attack also. One of them was jumping off a counter and was dead before he hit the floor.
One of my sweet ones had a heart attack and died before he was a year old. His sister lived to be 11 when her heart also failed.
This was genetic from the mother. Your kitten may have got it from either parent, or neither parent and it was something that just happened.
I am sorry this happened. It is hard emotionally, but you can't be placing blame without a necropsy.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something similar happened after my room mate helped me adopt out kitten's my other room mates cats had. There was a litter of 5. Out of the litter only 3 even made it to adulthood. The two brothers I kept lived until they were 15 and 16. Another one passed away around 5 years old. I ran into my old room mate that helped find homes for the kittens and he told me what happened. I was shocked because my 2 were very healthy. I did not know the people who's kittens had passed away and my room mate lost touch with them soon after so I had no way to contact them myself. Sometimes there is no known reason why these things happen. The cat that passed away at around 5 was adopted by someone I knew her vet thinks he had a heart attack in his sleep. My boys died from strokes about 1 year apart.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have two sisters we kept from a litter (no one wanted them), and their brothers and sisters were adopted out. We got a horrifying phone call one day that one of our girls' litter mate brother had (literally) dropped dead from a heart defect at just over a year old while playing while the owner was sitting there and watching the cat play, and laughing. Seconds later, the kitten was dead.
The adopter was so upset, it was a horrible thing and no one or no vet ever detected this cat had a heart issue.
The only thing I really don't like about cats is how well they hide a health problem. They can live with debilitating problems that would bring you or I to our knees begging God for mercy but they go on like nothing is wrong, until something is really wrong and in a lot of ways it can't be helped. They're just a tough, tough little species. I admire them for that, because I stub my toe on the coffee table leg and use it as an excuse for 2 years as to why I can't do this or that, but a cat lives with a heart defect that leaves them starved for oxygen and pretend like nothing is wrong for as long as they can.
The only other option is taking a cat to the vet once or twice a month for a full work up, which most people couldn't afford and most cats wouldn't tolerate, so that leaves us with doing our best.

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No need to be scared my friend.
It's unlikely he suffered if a heart defect is what caused this, and if he did it was for an instant....least that's what our vet has told us.
1 day old, or one day older than God, a loss of life is a sad happening and that little kitten had you and a new owner who has love invested in him, and that's what matters.

well whats caresme is i have 2 males from the same mother 1 litter before him so they have the same mom and possibly father too so they could have the same issues.

they are 10months old

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well whats caresme is i have 2 males from the same mother 1 litter before him so they have the same mom and possibly father too so they could have the same issues.

they are 10months old
No joke, we lost a cat at a very early age and his full litter mates are still with us, healthy, annoyingly active and tearing the house down at 11 years old!
I worry about the genetic part a lot sometimes, but it's made us much more aware of what the early symptoms are so we can break down the door and attack it if they should show any signs of it.