Questions About Cat Poop, Apologies In Advance...

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat came home from staying at the animal hospital for about a week, and was pooping once a day which is abnormal for him, however he has slowly gone to once every other day which was his normal before bringing him to the animal hospital where he had a surgery, which wouldn't impact his pooping. His poops were a light caramel color the first while he was at home and he had terrible gas, like you thought he had accidentally pooped himself gas. It is now a dark brown, and he no longer has gas. He is on antibiotics though so all of his poops have been a bit mushy. I am just wondering if he should be pooping more often, he is still eating plenty here at home, or if maybe it's just that at home he gets better food so has less waste? Or if I need to change his diet in hopes he poops more? At the vet he was being fed hills science diet dry, at home he is fed mostly wet foods, tiki cat or weruva, or instinct, with a bit of Dr. Elsey's clean protein dry so he can graze.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your cat was/has always been an 'every other day' pooper, and now has returned to that routine, I would call that normal for him and not worry about it.
Certainly the food he ate at the vets could have made the difference, but it isn't a necessity that a cat poop every day, especially if that has not been his history.

The mushy part will likely go away once the antibiotics are out of his system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Things are good he's eating well I changed up his wetfood to something with less ash as the vet recommended and it took about 9 rejected foods to find 2 he likes but he's happy and gets his stitches out Tuesday, and he is pooping at his normal rate of about once every other day!