Questions About Adopting Indoor/outdoor Cats From Family Member

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, we have two new furry family members joining us around the beginning of July and I wanted to get some input on a few things.

These cats, both approx. 4yo DLH females, belong to my husband's brother. He adopted them when he was living alone but then he moved back to his parents' house and for the last three years the cats have lived in the detached garage in the backyard. His parents let them out every day but otherwise they live a fairly cramped life and sadly have an extremely dirty litterbox (I am sure they no longer use it and instead go in the yard and at night they probably "go" somewhere in the garage).

Here are my questions:

1. When or how do we become the legal owners of these cats? The brother is fine with us taking them but a few remarks he has made (ex. "I'll give you some money every month") makes me think he might believe we are boarding them, instead of adopting them forever. Should we write something down and sign it? Or if he willingly lets us have them and we become their caretakers (vet records, etc.) is that proof of legal ownership? I am sure everything will be fine but my pessimist brain is imagining my brother-in-law moving to a new house a few years from now and making a claim for the cats at that point. We would like our home to be their forever home and want that to be clear.

2. Per standard integration practices, the cats will be going straight from their current home to the vet and then into our spare bedroom for a period of time. I'm predicting that going from a large garage with several hours of outdoor time every day to a medium size bedroom will be a bit of a struggle for them. Any tips on preventing them from bolting when I open the bedroom door?

3. They were raised in a house with a litterbox until about a year old, is it safe to assume they will readily take that practice up again? We've been very blessed in terms of our cats never peeing on beds, furniture, etc. and so we're a little wary about accidents. I know they've been going outside and/or on object in the garage for awhile, but I would assume instinct would take over when they see a fresh bed of "sand" for their business... just wanted to check on that?

Thanks!!!

xx18xx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry I can't answer all your questions but #3 concerning the litter box. This is my own personal exprience with this type of situation. A little over a year ago I started taking care of a pregnant stray. Through this whole process of having two litters, getting her spayed & everything else. She became part of our family. Now she is approximately 6-7 years old and I have seen her around as a stray for probably close to 4-5 years. It is very obvious that she had been someones pet before. She knew what a scratching post was & she also took right to a litter box. So a cat who has been on the street for atleast 4-5 years if not longer went right back to a litter box and has never had any accidents outside of it. I do believe you shouldn't have any trouble with your two new additions but every cat is different. Maybe try using Dr. Elseys Cat Attract just to be safe. I hope you have the best of luck.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest that you tell your brother-in-law that you would like to adopt the cats permanently, not just take care of them for him until he has his own place. Remind him that he'll always be welcome to visit, and that when he's actually able to care for a cat again there will be plenty of others available for him to adopt, but explain that you feel it would be traumatic for the cats, having already lost one home, to lose yet another some time down the road, so you want to give them a forever home with you. Keep it gentle; you don't want to belittle his efforts to take care of his cats. You want to enlist his aid in doing the best thing for them, which is a goal that he shares. But others may disagree with me on this.

I suspect that they'll be very invested in trying to escape from the bedroom, and I have no suggestions for what to do about that -- sorry. It may help a little bit if you make sure to spend a good amount of time with them. If possible, include a cat tree in the room's furnishings, and lots of toys.

As for the litter boxes, :dunno: who knows? It could go either way. You may want to put some plastic sheets on the bed until you find out. If the room is carpeted I suggest lots of puppy training pads. And you may want to get some of those screw-in tacks that they use to hold slipcovers to furniture and use them to pin the training pads to the carpet so that they won't fly everywhere when the cats get the zoomies. Upholstery Twist Pins, 16-Pack: Model# 122264 | True Value (Not the best source for these, just an easy way to make my meaning clear.)

Best of luck. Post pictures!

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much for your replies, you guys! Much appreciated. I talked to my BIL today and I'm glad I did... he isn't sure he wants us to take the cats forever as he is thinking he might move out in a few months. I'm really frustrated because of the lack of care he has shown for them and we could and would provide a much happier home regardless of whether he gets a new house or not. But... not sure it's worth sowing discord. For now we will put the adoption on hold.