Questioning the Maine Coon's Reputation as the Most Muscular Cat

salstyles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've often heard that Maine Coons are hailed as one of the most muscular cat breeds, even surpassing the likes of Siamese and Bengals. Judges at cat shows frequently highlight their powerful build. However, I've recently been observing my 4-month-old female European Maine Coon, and while she's comparable in size to my other cats, she seems to lack the expected level of muscle.

In contrast, breeds like Abyssinians, Burmese, and Egyptian Maus are renowned for their muscular and firm physique. Interestingly, my female Mau, who belongs to one of these breeds, has a notably lighter and softer body.

I find it intriguing that some kittens are born with a robust and muscular frame, while others seem to develop it over time. In my experience, Maine Coon kittens appear to be on par with regular cat kittens in terms of their build. This raises the question: Is the Maine Coon truly the most muscular cat breed, or is there more to it than meets the eye?

I'd love to hear from fellow cat enthusiasts and breed experts. What are your thoughts on this? Have you observed similar variations in muscle development among different cat breeds? Let's delve into this interesting discussion!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
my cat is half Maine Coon and half Calico. She is very muscular, not fat at all.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maine coons aren't full grown until age 3. You can't expect a baby to have well developed musculature.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've often heard that Maine Coons are hailed as one of the most muscular cat breeds, even surpassing the likes of Siamese and Bengals. Judges at cat shows frequently highlight their powerful build. However, I've recently been observing my 4-month-old female European Maine Coon, and while she's comparable in size to my other cats, she seems to lack the expected level of muscle.

In contrast, breeds like Abyssinians, Burmese, and Egyptian Maus are renowned for their muscular and firm physique. Interestingly, my female Mau, who belongs to one of these breeds, has a notably lighter and softer body.

I find it intriguing that some kittens are born with a robust and muscular frame, while others seem to develop it over time. In my experience, Maine Coon kittens appear to be on par with regular cat kittens in terms of their build. This raises the question: Is the Maine Coon truly the most muscular cat breed, or is there more to it than meets the eye?

I'd love to hear from fellow cat enthusiasts and breed experts. What are your thoughts on this? Have you observed similar variations in muscle development among different cat breeds? Let's delve into this interesting discussion!
Is she registered? Do you have your cats pedigree? If so you probably can locate her relatives by searching online to compare how they looked. If not, then hard to say if she's well bred and even 100% MC

Also yes, they do take years to fully mature. My girl was kind of a scraggly looking kitten but now at 4-1/2, has filled out and is quite lithe and athletic looking.

Last, it can be difficult to properly judge body condition of a Maine Coon due to their shaggy coat.

It all depends on the genetics in their background. Do you have a photo you can share?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The ameican and british shorthair are both very muscular cats.

A pure bred American Shorthair muscular legs and core. The Amirican Shorthair was bred to hunt rats aboard ships.

British shorthair grand champion, a muscular cat all over.