questiond reguarding kitten on home cooked foods.

superkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone my kitten got into some of shredded turkey dinner that was leftover from thanksgiving. Im wondering if its okay that he ate some. I like to feed my cats home cooked food but since he is just about 30 days im wondering if its okay for him to eat it?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as the turkey did not have garlic or onion powder (both of which are toxic to cats), he should be fine as long as he's already on solid foods and he didn't get a piece big enough to choke on. Make sure he didn't get any cooked bone as that can be very dangerous. As a general rule, if the home-cooked food is a treat that is less than 15% of their total diet, you are fine. If more, then you need to balance it properly and we can help you with that. There's some great info about it in our Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food forum here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264153/home-cooked-cat-food-resources

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Make sure he didn't get any cooked bone as that can be very dangerous. 
Just to expand on this, cooked bones are brittle and can splinter while inside kitty's stomach, causing internal damage or intestinal obstruction.