Questionb

Holtby70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted two kittens who were siblings from a shelter. They stayed in the same cage all the time. Sadly, i had to put one down. He had feline aids. If anyone knows how to cope with death please help bc i dont and im just extremely sad. However, does this mean his sister has aids as well? They were only 7 weeks old, so the only way they could probably get it is by their mom which means the sister has it too right? Im asking this because i have a senior cat whos been quarantined from the kittens and i dont want to give up the sister since she will be put back in a cage alone and quarantined since she likely has aids. But i also cant risk having my older cat getting aids. please help.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is a very good article about FIV (feline aids). It is by no means a death sentence, or at least not immediately. Even if your little girl tests positive, she could live a healthy life for YEARS before reaching Stage III, active aids.

Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (Cat Aids) - Symptoms and Treatment - Cat World

It is highly unlikely that your older cat will contract this disease. It is almost always spread either by a deep bite, or in utero, from mother to kittens. Simple day-to-day contact will not do it.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we got Rocky he was FIV+. He has lived with our other cats for the last 8 years with no problems. His health continues to be good and he has not transmitted the virus to our other cats.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other people have already said all the things I had to say about FIV; all that's left to respond to is this:
If anyone knows how to cope with death please help bc i dont and im just extremely sad.
Please see this thread: Grieving. You may find it helpful. And be aware that we'll be here for you whenever you need a shoulder to cry on (and we have a lot of shoulders here), for as long as you need shoulders to cry on. We will also, of course, continue be here for cat care questions and to celebrate your remaining fur babies. (We'd love to see some pictures.)

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :grouphug2: :alright: :sniffle: We share your grief.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, if you haven't seen it yet, this thread Crossing the Bridge is where people who have lost their cats can post a tribute to those cats. You may find that posting it brings you some comfort, and you will get LOTS of support there.