Question!!?

Katielacefield

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was looking at my cats nails when I was trimming them and was wondering… what color are cars quicks of their nails supposed to be? Here were a very dark pink, maybe with a tint of red is that normal?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats' nails should be translucent on the outside and lightly colored on the inside.

The outside part (the nail) might be translucent white or beige but it can be darker, maybe a light brown, depending on the cat's natural coloration.

The inside part (the quick) might be reddish or pinkish but, some cats might be reddish brown.

The flap of skin over the top of the nail (cuticle) might be light colored, whitish or pinkish but, again, might be a little bit darker, depending on the cat.

If the different parts of the cat's nails change color or get darker than normal it might be an indication of an infection of some kind. Often, a fungal infection but it could be bacteria. There are many different things that can go wrong with a cat's nails so it's hard to list everything. It could, simply, be dirt or debris that makes the nails look different.

Also, cats shed their nails. Unlike people whose nails grow from the base toward the fingertip, cats' nails grow like the rings of a tree, from the inside out. As the nails grow, inside, the outer part will flake off. That's one reason why cats need to have a place to scratch. They need to be able to scratch off the outer part of the nail when the time comes to shed.

In fact, if you look around your cat's scratching post, you'll probably find some shed claw coverings. Casper's Girl-Human likes to save them and put them in a locket with Casper's picture inside. :) If you look some more, you'll probably find a few shed whiskers, too.

Anyhow, when it comes time for your cat to shed a nail, it might look a different color but it should go back to normal once the outer layer comes off.

It's probably a good idea to look at your cat's nails, every so often, so that you can learn what healthy feet and nails look like and, if there is ever a problem, you'll know the difference.

From what you have written, it sounds like your cat's nails are pretty normal. Good for you for noticing! :)

I'm sure that, if you ever notice a change, you'll call the vet for an expert opinion. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katielacefield

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I learned a lot I didn’t know! And of course I would! This was the first time I saw her quick because I just got her and my other cat had much lighter quicks so I was just wondering. Thank you!