question

omarf2437

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi im new to owning cats. Me and my girlfriend rescued our 3 kittens a friend of hers found them under her porch. We have had them for over a month now. But for some reason they love goin into the fridge when we open it. Or the bathroom when we go inside (we close the door so they wont go in there) is this natural for cats to want to go into these colder places?

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, welcome to having cats! Cats are little weirdos. I can only guess why they like these places, but their behavior isn't anything you need to worry about.

The fridge probably seemed interesting because you seemed interested in it, and then they looked inside and saw a neat place to explore and shelves to climb and play on! Kittens will get everywhere. Lots of cats like following their people into the bathroom because they just want to hang out with them and also they're curious about what you're doing in there. There could be other reasons, too. Cats are generally attracted to warmth, but lots of those same cats also enjoy laying on cool, flat surfaces.

It sounds like you just need to be careful you don't close anybody in the fridge! If you want, you can also buy or make a cat tree for them to play on and climb all over, which they'd probably love, maybe even more than the fridge if you're lucky.

You and your girlfriend have done a wonderful thing by saving these cats! It sounds like they are very happy and adore their new life and people.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats love to go in the bathroom with you. Mine hops in the sink or the bathtub. I've considered filling up the tub to two or three inches and leaving it. Some surprise when Mingo leaps in!  But that would be mean, so the angel in me wins out over the devil. 

anmllvr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine love the bathroom too!  The tub is a particular fascination.  I can't let them in there unsupervised because my cat, Sadie, likes to mark the toilet with her mouth/teeth and that grosses me out.  But if I'm able to, I take a book or my tablet in there and let them roam around.  They never seem to tire of it.

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I developed a head count system when mine were kittens. One jumped in the fridge and my husband shut her in. One jumped in the washing machine. They tried to get in dryer. I counted heads every time I opened the fridge, washing machine, dryer, and pantry so no one got hurt. Mine all grew out of it.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol Oh yeah. You can never be in the bathroom alone if you have a cat in the house. It's some sort of unwritten law.

bmmathes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hahaha Welcome to never doing anything alone again! My cat sits on the edge of the tub while I shower, rubs on my legs when I try to pee, watches me cook supper, crawls into my lap every time I get a phone call, lays behind me on the back of the couch and so on. Who knows why they do it, just enjoy the company and keep the little babies safe!

Miriette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of mine does this too. He figured out the fridge is where the food is, so sometimes when I open it he runs over to stick his head in and look for food, the monster. He also is fascinated by flushing toilets, so he tries to follow me in just so he can sit by the toilet as it flushes. 

My point is that cats are one of the most mysterious and questionable forces in the known universe.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a cute video on YouTube on the Cole and Marmalade channel taken from inside the bathroom. The cats are outside the closed door, and then there's an orange paw and a black paw under the door trying to reach inside. You can't shut them out.

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tybalt is almost a year old and he still goes to the fridge and stuffs his head in. I don't blame him! I do it all the time! Hehe.

I also have a wheelchair accessible bathroom, so there are no cabinets close to the toilet to stuff spare paper in. What I did was put a plastic keeper in front of the toilet against the wall to keep everything from medicine to sanitary stuff in. He thinks that box is his special perch, and he sits right in front of me to stare at me while on the pot. I call him my "body guard" when he does this! It's great.

The weirdest thing he does is sit on the edge of the bathtub when I shower. He sits and stares until I accidentally splash him, then he moves to the previously mentioned box and turns into a disappointed loaf of cat.

Cats, especially kittens, just like to be where we are, and often in places they have no idea why we frequent. Isn't it cute? Ah, those little weirdos.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

omarf2437

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
does anyones cat play witht their water before drinking it?