Question Regarding Testing And Feline Leukemia

maichelle1996

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I’m new to this cat rescue group and don’t know the normal protocol other rescues do. This group ONLY tests the mom for feline leukemia and maybe one of the kittens. When I questioned this they said their vet told them if the mom is negative so will be the kittens. Is this true??? I’m worried as number one I don’t want to be sued by anyone who would adopt a kitten that I’m fostering and only the mom got tested and later the kitten is positive. Also I would feel bad if they had another cat that got infected

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the mom was isolated and inside before she had the babies and all have been inside since, and not exposed to other cats, then testing the mom should be adequate.

I don't know who you are working with as a foster, but normally the organizations I am familiar with, the fosters generally don't assume responsibility for testing/results/etc. However, it may be up to you if the organization you are working with knows you have other foster cats/kittens that this bunch could be exposed to who haven't already been tested and the results were negative.