Question regarding registering cats as emotional support animal

Jasminelopeze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have 3 cats and was considering having them registered as emotional support animals. Not only because I love them and they do provide support but also to avoid the pet charges I may face if I move out one day (still living with my parents but just graduated college so I need to start thinking like an ADULT adult soon and move out) (btw Im sorry if i offend anyone, not trying to downplay the need for emotional support animals) So I've done some reseach but wanted some feedback from anyone whose done it? How much does it cost? (I live in Maryland if that means anything) Any pros and cons?

oh btw my parents are not responsible when it comes to pets. So leaving them behind is not an option. (Just trust me on this)

Thank you for your feedback.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no such thing as an emotional support animal registry. The websites that claim that are scams. You need a note from your mental health doctor saying that having a pet is essential to your mental health, and you take that to your landlord. That's it.

Many landlords won't allow more than one pet to qualify as an emotional support animal, though (and your doctor is unlikely to say that you must have 3 cats for your mental health). So it would be better to find an apartment that allows animals and pay the extra pet rent like an ADULT adult :D.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is no organization that registers ESA. Or for service animals either. For ESA, you just need a letter from your doctor saying that the animal is for emotional support purposes. There are lots of web sites that sell "official certification / registration" paperwork and even pet clothing / leashes, etc but they're just all scams that want your money.

they do provide support but also to avoid the pet charges I may face if I move out one day
Not all landlords charge a pet fee. Apartment buildings and complexes tend to do so to cover any damages done by pets. Private apartments may not. Even so, the lease may specify what charges are incurred if a pet regardless of status causes to the property. Sometimes it's covered by the security deposit but more extensive damage may be out of pocket costs. Just because a pet is an ESA doesn't mean that it can damage property (scratching / chewing door frames, ripping blinds / window coverings, soak the floor with urine, etc).

So it would be better to find an apartment that allows animals and pay the extra pet rent like an ADULT adult :D.
:yeah:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jasminelopeze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:sigh: Thanks, guess I just need to work harder and get a better job. :salam: