Question Over Calicivirus.

Jinji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats JinJin recently got over Calicivirus, she was kept in a separate room from my other cat LC. I was told to keep JinJin separated from our other cat LC for at least 3 weeks after her symptoms have passed.We took all protective measures to keep LC from getting sick but our vet said it's difficult as it airborne and travels all over no matter how much you clean/disinfect. Well, today I started seeing LC drool so I'll be taking her in Monday to the vet to be seen and checked out, I'm certain she has Calicivirus now. My question is, if both have been exposed can they be together? Or will they keep spreading it back and forth to each other? JinJin shows no more symptoms and LC has it now this is why I asked. Usually in humans URI such as flu or cold in a house hold doesn't keep going round and round.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
J Jinji , i don't have experience with calicivirus, but i did do some looking into it and your concerns online.

from what i've read, my understanding is that once a cat has had calicivirus and recovered from it, they will not get that strain again. however, calicivirus is a virus that's able to mutate/change over time, so cats who become (re-)infected with a different strain can experience mild symptoms. this is similar to the flu in humans -- people who catch the flu catch a particular strain of it, they recover from it which means they've developed immunity to that strain of flu, but if they are exposed to a different strain of flu (a strain that they've never had before), they can catch that new-to-them strain of flu.

i also read that many cats who have had calicivirus will 'shed' the virus for longer than the 30 days after the symptoms have passed. a small number of cats will become lifelong carriers of the virus, and will shed the virus indefinitely.

i don't have an answer, as to whether your JinJin and LC can be together right now. if this were me, i'd be very cautious. my suggestion is to discuss this with your vet. your vet will be familiar with your JinJin's case of calicivirus and treating it, and will recommend whether or not your two cats should be together again yet.

you're doing really very well!! :agree: your JinJin has recovered from the calicivirus, and you 'caught' that LC is exhibiting symptoms of it too now. you're taking LC to see the vet on monday -- promptly seeking treatment. very well done!!

we're here for you, in any ways we're able to be! :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jinji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay! Thank you so much!! I will definitely keep them apart for now until I see the vet tomorrow (Monday).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jinji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom still learning how to use this as I'm new to this site. The message I replied is above ! Thanks again!

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve had around 5 foster kittens with calcivirus. They all ended up perfectly healthy. I usually wait until I see no symptoms for a week and then they are allowed contact with other cats.

It is possible they can shed the virus through saliva for a month, but this is not very common.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Better to err on the side of caution but since the kitties were together during JinJin's incubation period, LC was probably exposed then. Prayers and vibes for LC's speedy healing :vibes::vibes::vibes:
By the way, welcome to TCS and we do love pics of the kitties. :camera: