Question on Turkish Angoras

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now I understand that stray cats are very rarely anything more than a moggie (and in fact most cats are not anything in particular), but I always wondered about an old cat of mine I had when I was younger. I had this cat when I was growing up (he was with me from the age of 5 til I left for college, and he died when I was at college). He was my first cat and I loved him to pieces. Anyway, the reason I was curious about him is he was found by a neighbor in the neighborhood wandering around - dirty, starving, and obviously not a feral - although he did not like little children, and was afraid of them, he was never fearful or timid around adults and was friendly. He was a young kitten when he was found and just seemed "lost" to the neighbor (very hungry and dirty looking).

At the time, we didn't know much about cats but we took him in and looked up the various cat breeds etc, and though maybe he looked a bit like a Turkish Angora. Later on, I'm not so sure as his head shape / ear shape does not seem quite right for that breed to me, but I am no expert.

The reason we were considering that he might have been a T.A. is because years later we found out a Turkish Angora breeder lived  the next neighborhood over to ours and apparently had lost one of his cats around the same time our neighbor found Snowflake wandering around near her house.

We had put up flyers etc advertising the lost cat and nobody ever claimed him however. So, it might be just a coincidence, but I figured I'd ask her by somebody who knows these things. I don't care if he is "just" a moggie or not; I'm just curious.

I've posted some pics below that my mom lent me. They are old photos so not the best but I scanned them in and cleaned them up best I could. It's hard to tell in the photos but he had light green eyes. I am not sure how old he is in these photos, but he is a young adult in the first few, and then more "middle aged" in the ones with the spotted kitten. he was a largish cat - about 15 pounds in his prime if I remember correctly.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The head type is wrong, but the fact that someone lost a puredbred cat around the same time, well perhaps it's the same cat and more chance of being a breed that the majority of moggies. No way of really knowing, 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The head type is wrong, but the fact that someone lost a puredbred cat around the same time, well perhaps it's the same cat and more chance of being a breed that the majority of moggies. No way of really knowing, 
yeah i was thinking his head type / ears was not quite right, in retrospect.... the T.A.'s I've seen pictures of seem to have narrower heads / with ears that are longer and set higher on their heads perhaps

angorarama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Lynnette

You cat may have been a traditional Turkish Angora of the type still found in the Ankara Zoo,  all over Turkey, The Middle East and Cyprus.  He may have been descended from recent imports explaining why his appearance is very different from the Cat fancy Angoras which are unrelated to Ankara cats.  You can see the similarity between your cat and Ankara Zoo cats in the following link.-

http://turkishangoracat.wordpress.com/2012/05/04/ankara-zoo-angora-pictures/

Here is our website link.-  

http://www.turkishangoracat.org/arastirma.aspx?arastirmaId=1

You probable had a real treasure in your hands.

Regards

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
THanks for your input Angorarama.

I guess we'll never know at this point, but thank you for the link. Those cats are beautiful!

And yes, he was a treasure, whatever he was.

It's funny you just posted here now because I had a very vivid dream about him the other night and he's been dead for the past 19 years or so. But I could still feel the texture of his fur (which was different from other cats I have had since - very silky but not fluffy or cottony)