question on frozen raw ( rad cat)

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since the nearest store that sells frozen raw is 30+ miles from me I was hoping someone that has some could help me out. Do companies selling frozen raw like rad cat list a processing date? I'm wondering since I know that taurine is diminished by length of time frozen. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think your best bet is to contact the company and ask them that type of question, and am guessing since Laurie provided you with the link, you  may already have.

I'm wondering,though, what the nearest store being 30 miles away has to do with it.  (just curious).  I would think others have that same issue and would just keep it in an ice chest while driving home, or are you saying if you're going to drive that far, you want to buy LOTS of it at one time?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sally, I don't know where you live. Gary and I live in the middle of nowhere, so 30 miles is a rather standard drive to find something we need. :lol3: But for a lot of people, they can usually get everything locally... so I guess 30 miles sounds far? :dk:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sally, I don't know where you live. Gary and I live in the middle of nowhere, so 30 miles is a rather standard drive to find something we need.
But for a lot of people, they can usually get everything locally... so I guess 30 miles sounds far?
Well, no, I'm not saying that driving 30 miles seems that far, that's why I'm wondering why it's an issue, and what it has to do with the processing date.  (the reason I mentioned an ice chest is because I live in the desert, so driving 30 miles with something that was frozen would be an issue for me, because it would be thawed when I got home if I didn't put it in an ice chest)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think your best bet is to contact the company and ask them that type of question, and am guessing since Laurie provided you with the link, you  may already have.

I'm wondering,though, what the nearest store being 30 miles away has to do with it.  (just curious).  I would think others have that same issue and would just keep it in an ice chest while driving home, or are you saying if you're going to drive that far, you want to buy LOTS of it at one time?

The 30 miles meant that I can't just take 5 minutes and drop into the corner store and look for myself. So that means it would have to wait till the next time I planned to drive to town, unless someone happened to know and was gracious enough to post the info. 
 I'm wondering since I know that taurine is diminished by length of time frozen. 
Apparently you missed that part of my post. Freshness is an issue to me. 

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the nearest store that sells frozen raw is 30+ miles from me I was hoping someone that has some could help me out. Do companies selling frozen raw like rad cat list a processing date? I'm wondering since I know that taurine is diminished by length of time frozen. 
Taurine depletion is very very small when the meat is frozen - minimum really. It is when the meat is ground and thawed that you need to be concerned about it - not while it is frozen. Rad Cat is just fine on Taurine - it exceeds the AAFCO recommendations; evidently that must be good up to the expiration date, otherwise they wouldn't sell with that expiration date to begin with :nod:

They list the expiration date and lot # -
I would just buy a Styrofoam box and put them inside - you are good for a long trip if you do that :bigthumb: Even 30 miles though, is not enough to thaw without a box though - they take a long while to thaw I mean, long. In my fridge, the don't thaw completely by the time I finish feeding them in over 48hours. Just drive drive with the air conditioner on and keep it away from the sun - you should be just fine.... :nod::wavey:

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well rad cat is ground which is why I asked. I really didn't know if they actually test taurine levels at the expiration date or not. So that is good to know. I already use a big ice chest when I shop for food in town. In fact, one is permanently in the back of my car LOL. 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well rad cat is ground which is why I asked. I really didn't know if they actually test taurine levels at the expiration date or not. So that is good to know. I already use a big ice chest when I shop for food in town. In fact, one is permanently in the back of my car LOL. 
There you go :)
Yes, the taurine levels are tested "as fed", so they take the expiration date, thawing, and the whole thing into consideration - you'll be just fine :nod:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There you go :)
Yes, the taurine levels are tested "as fed", so they take the expiration date, thawing, and the whole thing into consideration - you'll be just fine :nod:
Ice boxes with dry ice or regular ice packs is how they ship cross country :nod:
For long trips - such as all day/2 day trips, they just recommend an ice box with some ice in it. 1/2 hour is no problem at all.....
The containers are 1lb each, and rock solid - they don't defrost quickly. :nod:

Last edited:

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I have the ice chest in my car because I'm usually bulk shopping fresh not frozen meat for the dogs raw diet when I go to town.