Question Of The Day, Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nope, didn't forget. Storm last night knocked out my cable, and thus my internet, and left me watching movies on DVD all evening. Which brings us to today's question.

We all have certain movies that we are almost embarrassed to admit that we love. What's yours?

Mine are the POTC movies, each and every one. Look, I only moderately like Johnny Depp, but I LOVE Jack Sparrow.

Something about him just never fails to make me smile. LOL, my fondness for characters like him is what drives my determination to stay single for the rest of my life!

Oh, and speaking of DVDs, another guilty pleasure is owning the "Blood Ties" series, a short-lived series based on the Victoria Nelson novels by Tanya Huff. Didn't watch that last night, though.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, so many favorites! I'm not embarrassed to admit I love them either: Princess Bride, Dirty Dancing, all the Pirates of the Caribbean, the original Star Wars trilogy, the older Indiana Jones, all the Harry Potters, Scrooged, Weekend at Bernie's, Hocus Pocus...

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not movies, but I have DVDs of all four seasons of Lois & Clark. I loved that series. Dean Cain made such a great young Superman.

Romancing the Stone and The Jewel of the Nile
The complete Back to the Future trilogy
The complete Men in Black trilogy
Welcome to Mooseport (I was not impressed)
This is Spinal Tap (likewise)
The Santa Clause 2
Home on the Range
(the cartoon, with the voices of Judi Dench and Cuba Gooding Jr.)

And I make no apologies for:
Chicken Run
Chicken Little
Galaxy Quest
The Princess Bride

The complete Lord of the Rings
The Gods Must be Crazy

The NASA recordings of the Apollo 8 and Apollo 11 missions
DVDs of the complete Babylon 5 series
Shanghai Noon and Shanghai Knights
Blazing Saddles
True Lies
A Fish Called Wanda

Margret

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am a sucker for corny disaster movies. End of the world type things. Like Day After Tomorrow or San Andres. I am super excited about Geostorm.

I don't like the ones where they take themselves too serious. It has to be a little tongue in cheek.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a sucker for corny disaster movies. End of the world type things. Like Day After Tomorrow or San Andres. I am super excited about Geostorm.

I don't like the ones where they take themselves too serious. It has to be a little tongue in cheek.
You would love the Sharknado series.
I'm not embarrassed to say I love those.

MoxieinMaine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well...I've gotta hop on the Princess Bride train (a lot of people put that!) since it was the theme of my bachelorette party. I'm not really embarrassed about that, though.
I still like some kids movies - Finding Nemo is one of my weaknesses and I still cry buckets at this old cartoon version of Charlotte's Web or Homeward Bound.
My only really embarrassing one is this old 70s tv show based on Planet of the Apes. My aunt owns the series on DVD and we watch it together and usually end up cracking up. That's definitely my weirdest one.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My only really embarrassing one is this old 70s tv show based on Planet of the Apes. My aunt owns the series on DVD and we watch it together and usually end up cracking up. That's definitely my weirdest one.
Nothing embarrassing about that.

I had a friend (since deceased) who used to host "Bad Movie Night" at his house once a month. We'd all go over and eat popcorn and make fun of whatever movie he'd rented that month (there was a movie rental place near him with a guy who apparently specialized in funny bad movies). One of my favorites was Santa Claus Versus the Martians. The Martian children are unhappy, so the Martians kidnap Santa Claus to make their kids as happy as earth kids, and some earth kids have to help free Santa. Yes, it was exactly as bad as it sounds, and utterly hilarious. They showed just one Martian family:
  • Famar (the Father)
  • Momar (the Mother)
  • Bomar (the little Boy)
  • Girmar (the little Girl)
Imaginative, huh? All the adult Martians had some kind of tubes growing from their heads; we decided that the reason the children didn't must have been because they hadn't reached tuberty yet.

Margret

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brouce is grouce Brouce is grouce , welcome to TCS. We're very glad to have you here, and hope that you and your cat(s) will be part of our community for a very long time.

There are some important threads you should know about:
New Cats on the Block is a good place for you to introduce yourself and your cats to us.
post funny picture and memes here This is page 85(!) of our humor thread; you'll probably want to go through the whole thing at your leisure; for now I suggest you just start at the end and work back.
The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017 is where we get together to just talk about most anything. This is the place where you'll find it easiest to get to know us.

Margret

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

:yeah: me too!!

i started watching disaster movies way back, with The Towering Inferno, The Poseidon Adventure, Airport. i really like the newer ones too, that are weather related. i love them all! :biggrin:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The gods must be crazy....I about wet my pants when the explorer( ? ) accidentally winched his land rover up in a tree
He was some kind of scientist -- biologist, I think. He was collecting elephant dung and examining it under a microscope, I forget why. I'll have to pull the DVD out and watch it again, and I don't have time right now; there's going to be a Harry Potter marathon and I've set the DVR to record, but that means I absolutely must get the shows I really want to save off of the DVR and on either DVDs or my external hard drive to make room on the DVR. And that, in turn, means that I finally have to figure out how to use the Honestech VHS to DVD that I bought a couple of years ago. Oh, :censored:. I think I've lost the instructions and two of the cables. I may be visiting Best Buy tomorrow, after a thorough cleaning to see whether I can find them. :sigh: It's going to be a long couple of days.

Margret

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles starring Steve Martin and John Candy. During the ten years I took care of my Dad, we got to see this on TV on some Saturday afternoons and we had some good, hearty laughs. I could watch it over again easily.