Question of the Day, Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SO...another easy one. Do you have a favorite thing to cook? Something you know so well you can almost do it in your sleep and know it will taste wonderful? Or something so complex that it challenges you every time? Sweet? Savory? You don't have to post the recipe, but do tell us about it!

I think the one go-to for company is pork chops in a sweet onion creamy gravy. It really is dead easy, but tastes like it took hours and hours. Preferably, you would use Vidalia onions, but the season for them is so short that the rest of the year, I make do with whatever decent sweet onion is available.

For those of you NOT from the South of the USA, Vidalia is pronounced Vie DAYL ya, not "Vih DAHL ya". Only prissy television chefs say it like that. My cousin, and source of my onions, actually lives very near Vidalia, Georgia, and sends me a bushel every year.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me it's shepherd's pie even though I don't eat it myself. I enjoy hearing the kids and grandkids saying mmmm mum or nan's making shepherd's pie for tea. Always makes me smile how such a simple meal makes them so happy.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I make a pasta cheese casserole with penne or ziti pasta. I brown up some ground beef and mix it with jarred spaghetti sauce. One layer of the cheese is slices of provolone and sour cream and the next layer of cheese is just mozzarella. I put shredded parmesan on top.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Something really simple: Tuna and noodles. No cream of mushroom soup. Instead I make my own white sauce, turn it into a hearty cheese sauce, stir in the tuna, and plop that over the cooked and butter noodles. You can laugh, but it's a family favorite around here. When our son first moved out and would come home for supper, he always asked for tuna and noodles. And, believe it or not, I've served it when people came in for dinner. Even people who don't like tuna and noodles love this stuff. My BIL cannot stand tuna and noodles (because of the mushroom soup), but he'll scarf this down like there's no tomorrow. And then he'll take any leftovers home.

Here's the recipe, if anybody is interested: Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Pasta
Note that the mushrooms are optional; if you don't like them, don't add them. (My BIL hates mushrooms with a passion.)

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Something really simple: Tuna and noodles. No cream of mushroom soup. Instead I make my own white sauce, turn it into a hearty cheese sauce, stir in the tuna, and plop that over the cooked and butter noodles. You can laugh, but it's a family favorite around here. When our son first moved out and would come home for supper, he always asked for tuna and noodles. And, believe it or not, I've served it when people came in for dinner. Even people who don't like tuna and noodles love this stuff. My BIL cannot stand tuna and noodles (because of the mushroom soup), but he'll scarf this down like there's no tomorrow. And then he'll take any leftovers home.

Here's the recipe, if anybody is interested: Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Pasta
Note that the mushrooms are optional; if you don't like them, don't add them. (My BIL hates mushrooms with a passion.)
Yum, yum, yum!!!!

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Salsa Chicken. It's stupid easy to make and we get easily 2 or more meals out of it. Chicken breast, chicken broth, rice, black beans, salsa, and corn plus whatever seasonings you want. Bake it, top it with cheese, let the cheese melt. Boom, instant dinner.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I stopped cooking for other people. The exception will be if I ever care enough about a human to want to make something the way they like it as an act of love.

That said, I cook for myself: zucchini muffins, mac and cheez with a ton of nutritional yeast, polenta, greens and tofu over rice, whole wheat bread, homemade soy drink

And if "normal" people hate hippie food or rabbit food or whatever insults come out of their mouth while they laugh and make pukey faces, that just means more for me.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tuna salad. I know, EVERYBODY makes tuna salad, but not like mine. 2 cans of tuna packed in water, 1 can of tuna packed in vegetable oil, 1 small can of crushed pineapple packed in pineapple juice. Drain and mix everything, and add Miracle Whip until it looks right. At first glance it sounds, well, strange, but I don't LIKE celery or onion or pickles in my tuna, and I DO like pineapple. My mother added grated apple to tuna salad, but I've found that to be a good way to skin my knuckles.

Margret

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make tuna salad with dill pickle relish (sweet pickles can go in the trash, as far as I'm concerned), curry powder, and a lot of lemon juice, plus mayo, so I'm not one to talk about weird stuff in tuna ;).

I make a pretty decent meatless lasagna. That's usually what I make for potlucks and such. Seems popular enough.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love cooking and baking so I don't have a true favorite but I don't think I could ever get sick of making or eating what I call "Mish Mash".
Fry up some ground beef with one onion chopped in a large skillet. Turn down temp to medium.
Then add one can of italian spiced diced tomatoes "lightly" drained and mix.
Then add cooked rice (not sure how much, but uncooked it's about 2 cups.) and mix well
Then add cooked broccoli and mix.
Add whatever spices you might like. I don't add much because my husband likes to put different sauces on it (either BBQ, or honey mustard...bleh) or sometimes some parm cheese and I'm good with just a bit of salt.
Tada! Done!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I love half-runner green beans. I pick them tiny and sweet and cook them until they are squeaky on my teeth when I chew them. I like them with a baked potato with sour cream, butter and chives. I have something else with them - chicken, sirloin, fish, asparagus, broccoli, kale or some other vegetable. But it's the beans that I love cooking (and eating!) so much! I know, I know, I'm a pretty boring cook.:p