Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First of all,

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Now, on to the question of the day!

You may (or maybe not) have to work a teeny tiny bit for this one. What is your favorite quote about cats, and who said it (if it is just an old wives' tale, that's fair to put down)?

And I have to be honest, my answer changes from day to day, and sometimes from minute to minute, but right now, it is:

“Way down deep, we’re all motivated by the same urges. Cats have the courage to live by them.”
Jim Davis (cartoonist, Garfield)

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oohh, this is a good one! My favorite cat quotes change with my mood...

Currently I'm partial to this one “A cat does not want all the world to love her. Only those she has chosen to love.” – Helen Thomson

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it is one of Mark Twain's quotes.

"Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man should be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.

Christopher Hitchens

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my favorites is:

"Of all the toys available, none is better designed than the owner himself. A large multipurpose plaything, its parts can be made to move in almost any direction. It comes completely assembled, and it makes a sound when you jump on it."
-- Stephen Baker

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those are all great! I didn't have one so I looked at Brainy Quotes and found a couple I couldn't choose between:

"You can't look at a sleeping cat and be tense." Jane Pauley
"Cat: a pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings." Oliver Herford
"One small cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home." Pam Brown
"Never wear anything that panics the cat." P. J. O'Rourke

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is one of Mark Twain's quotes.

"Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man should be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Really? I don't mean to argue, just asking for clarification. I saw this one on the GoodReads Quotes About Cats page and skipped it because they quoted it as "the slave of the leash," and cats can be leash trained. "Lash" is much better.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, just for today (Wednesday, November 1st), I believe it's: “One day I was counting the cats and I absent-mindedly counted myself.”
Bobbie Ann Mason, Shiloh and Other Stories

Margret

Note: I cheated. I got this quote from GoodReads' Quotes About Cats page.
I do not consider that cheating. I googled. Nor did I know that you are on GoodReads!

"One small cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home." Pam Brown
Oh, I especially like that one!

I'm so glad I chose this question! Everyone is coming up with wonderful sayings about our cats!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not consider that cheating. I googled. Nor did I know that you are on GoodReads!
I also Googled, and the GoodReads site was one of the first that came up. I'm not a member, but I'm pretty sure I should be.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I also Googled, and the GoodReads site was one of the first that came up. I'm not a member, but I'm pretty sure I should be.

Margret
Yes, you really should! Get thee hence, woman, so that we may befriend one each to the other! ~mutters to self~ you have been reading far, FAR too many historical novels, my girl.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh you klutz.~ This is often said by me, I don't attribute it to anyone.