Question Of The Day, Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Man, my mind has gone blank. Let's see...what to I want to be utterly nosy about, in a thread where that is perfectly acceptable?

OK...cover the gray hair, or let it shine through? I know MANY of you aren't old enough to even think about gray hair yet, but you will be! So...what will you do?

My problem is that I actually love my gray hair, I consider it merit badges of a youth well mis-spent! It is my actual hair color that I don't like, and I can't find a product that will color my hair and leave the gray alone!

suggestions welcome here! I really don't like my hair color! I really DO like my gray!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have some grey hairs. I'm indifferent about them, but I go through phases of playing with fun hair colours. I never colour my hair for the purpose of covering the grey, and am quite happy to grow out my natural colour -greys and all. My hair is darkish purple right now, and I'll likely be dying it a pinkish-purple sometime soon :)

Lilacat >(^.^)<

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love purples as you can likely tell from my avatar & font choice, but my hair is red, & only red.

I have thought of purple colouring, but just can't give up my redhead status.

I wear purple, my glasses have purple frames,
even wear purple lipstick, my walker is purple, & if I can find something in purple that isn't usually purple, I go for it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought I would just go gray until I got a significant amount of gray. I get the lowlights and highlights. The highlights are a golden blond, the lowlights are a neutral gray which is very close to my natural brown. She does one foil with the highlight, the next foil with the lowlight, and the bit of hair is left natural. The gray, natural brown, and roots kind of blend in with the color. I only get it done 3 maybe 4 times a year because of the way my natural color blends in.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
At 63, my natural hair color is white. When the roots come out, they're all white at this point. I've been coloring my hair for years, an auburn shade. ( L Lilacat >(^.^)< I've pretty much been a redhead of some sort since I was 19 years old.) Well, my stylist suggested that I go lighter and lighter; that way, when the whites started showing through, it wouldn't be so apparent.

It didn't look good at all and I ended up with....well, I don't know what you'd call it. I didn't like it, Rick didn't like it, nobody really liked it. As it would keep getting colored, it just got lighter and brassier. I am not a blonde (although I may act it sometimes) and I don't look good as a blonde.

This past fall I went back to being a brunette (with some red highlights). I like it much better. I have to go in for root touch-ups about every four weeks or so. It's a softer color that blends in better with my aging face...at least I think so.

Rick asked me when I'd let it go all-white. At first I said when I was 60; then I said when I was 70. Now? When I feel like it.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love purples as you can likely tell from my avatar & font choice, but my hair is red, & only red.

I have thought of purple colouring, but just can't give up my redhead status.

I wear purple, my glasses have purple frames,
even wear purple lipstick, my walker is purple, & if I can find something in purple that isn't usually purple, I go for it.
I'm with you Lilacat. I love purple but not for my hair color. I get it colored blonde/brown to cover the gray. It started with having a streak of gray when I was in my early teens. It was the style then to have a lighter streak in your hair, so I was really fashionable. :cool2: My master bedroom and bathroom are purple, also my glasses.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm nearly 59. So far, not too much gray coming through. I still get my hair highlighted blonde (my natural color). It's got low and highlights so it appears very natural. I get it done about 4-5 times a year. Roots don't start showing for a good 2+ months.

Honestly, if more gray was there I'd just let it grow in but so far I've been lucky. I hope once it does I wind up with my dads silver tones instead of a drab gray.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've got less gray than I should have at my age and have no intention of covering it up as it increases. I really hate the look of gray roots, because from afar it can look like the person is balding.

My sister had very dark (black) hair that turned gray when she was around 30. She dyed it for decades, but the color was too harsh once she reached middle age, so she let the (by then) white grow out completely. It was beautiful, but made her look older than her actual age. She's gone with dark blond for the past few years, and it suits her.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I probably just let it shine through. I hate the smell of my hair when it's dyed. It makes a mess and my hair grows fast-my roots show in the 3rd week.

I used to be blonde as a kid then darker as I get older-I have a ton of red undertones so blonde coloring doesn't work as it turns my hair bright orange. :eek2:

I did that ONE time=drive to 24 hr CVS to get another box of bleach color stripper. I wanted Ash Blonde since Ash was recommended to those with high red colored hair. I got the golden blonde to work but it looked horrible with my skin tone. I kept my hair in braids. My dark roots showed in the 3rd week-a black line. yuck. After that I tend to stick to a mahogany brown/purple type color if I do color it.

I havent colored it for 3 years now. I have streaks of grey and I am still young-if I have to get a new job I will color it then let it grow out once the job situation settles down. I probably will pay the money to have the salon do it since it's long and I just don't have the patience to mix colors anymore. I used to get my colorings at the beauty supply shop until they passed some law that you have to be licensed and I didn't know any hair dressers. I still look at the colors online on hair dressing sites and wonder how it would come out...my fear is with my deep red undertones that the color won't work like they think.... and in the end if it goes Grey-that's fine.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I remember seeing the Clairol commercials when I was younger with a sophisticated silver haired woman. I always thought that was how I wanted to look, i.e. grow old gracefully. However, at first there were only a few gray hairs and I ignored them. Then there were more, (no silver), and it really bugged me so I started doing a single process closest to my natural color with a very subtle darker reddish tint. I always get compliments so decided to leave it this way. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind. :dunno: But for now I've become accustomed to it this way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamany,

The hot color now is silver. Even the are doing it. Why not try it?

Mia
If it would just hurry up, my own are silver, rather than actual gray. And it would cost too much to keep it up professionally, at this point.

I'm with you on the purple! It's my favorite color, as well! AND my hair is, well, kinda red. It used to be a lovely, dark, rich red, but it has faded to a field-mouse-butt brown...dull, with a reddish tinge. I think I'll look at some coloring products, and get it back to where it was, and let the gray go hang.

Lilacat >(^.^)<

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At 63, my natural hair color is white. When the roots come out, they're all white at this point. I've been coloring my hair for years, an auburn shade. ( L Lilacat >(^.^)< I've pretty much been a redhead of some sort since I was 19 years old.) Well, my stylist suggested that I go lighter and lighter; that way, when the whites started showing through, it wouldn't be so apparent.

It didn't look good at all and I ended up with....well, I don't know what you'd call it. I didn't like it, Rick didn't like it, nobody really liked it. As it would keep getting colored, it just got lighter and brassier. I am not a blonde (although I may act it sometimes) and I don't look good as a blonde.

This past fall I went back to being a brunette (with some red highlights). I like it much better. I have to go in for root touch-ups about every four weeks or so. It's a softer color that blends in better with my aging face...at least I think so.

Rick asked me when I'd let it go all-white. At first I said when I was 60; then I said when I was 70. Now? When I feel like it.
Hahahaha....my husband is also Rick. I was carrot top as a baby, but got darker as I got older, so am a lifelong redhead, & lifelong night person! AY.EM. is a four letter word!

Lilacat >(^.^)<

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it would just hurry up, my own are silver, rather than actual gray. And it would cost too much to keep it up professionally, at this point.

I'm with you on the purple! It's my favorite color, as well! AND my hair is, well, kinda red. It used to be a lovely, dark, rich red, but it has faded to a field-mouse-butt brown...dull, with a reddish tinge. I think I'll look at some coloring products, and get it back to where it was, and let the gray go hang.
My now colour, but the camera, or computer is not really quite accurate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Very nice. For me, I look better with a darker red, but I like ALL shades!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have seen some auburns that I thought were really pretty. I have heard from several sources that red is tricky to get right. It's tricky to get the right shade for your skin color. It can also be tricky to get the color right. I always go with a neutral brown for the lowlights. I got a warm brown once and I ended up with Lucille Ball red hair. I had the same deal with the highlights and leaving a third of my hair undone. My hair grabbed the red out of the warm brown and I ended up with Lucille Ball hair. After that I get the neutral brown. I kept it for a week and then I went back and got it redone. They did all my hair in a neutral brown and then put in the highlights.