Question of the Day, Wednesday, March 18, 2018

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Spring, if not quite here for some of us, is certainly coming. What is your favorite springtime activity?

My favorite springtime activity is about the same as my favorite summer, fall and winter activities. I love watching my ferals go about their daily lives. THIS spring, though, I've learned something that I'd never realized (although I might have seen it briefly) before. We all talk about the fact that adult ferals do not vocalize, other than a mama cat "talking" to her kittens, or the hisses, growls and yowls associated with fighting and mating. THAT IS SO WRONG! When a tom cat fixates on a queen, but she isn't quite ready to mate, there follows a LOT of "discussion." This consists of trills and chirps and little murmuring sounds, back and forth. Imagine my delight when I was honored to observe two cats "sweet-talking" with each other, not once but
several times, with different toms and queens! I've learned so much by watching this group of cats.

Now, if only the Town Council would consent to TNR, and I could put an end to all of it! It's sweet in the extreme, but I'd rather there be no more unwanted kittens born.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would rather your activity but I do enjoy mine. Its cleaning outside which always looks dull and grubby after the winter. I start by powerwashing the paths, patio and drive, paint the fences and gates, touch up the paintwork on the house, oil my benches and chairs, then I'm ready to sit outside and enjoy the bright, clean look of everything.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Walking under the plum and cherry blossoms. I work next to Seoul's Olympic Park and they have a couple of long paths of cherry blossom trees.

Also, right about now is usually the time we started training for Gaelic Football again, so getting out onto the field and kicking balls is a true sign that spring has arrived. This year we haven't been able to start training yet, so I feel like I'm in a haze.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I truly enjoy one thing that only happens in the spring....the smell of lilacs! Oh sure, they have those reblooming lilacs, but they sure don't smell like the originals. Just like the new roses. Those big old shrub roses that grandma had, that bloom only once a year, they smell like heaven!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just really enjoy getting out in the warm weather and taking my walk when it hits 50 degrees. I love not having to wear a coat. I enjoy that the snow/ice has melted and the roads are safer to drive on. I wish it could stay at 50 degrees or above forever. Why am I not living down south? :lol:

the smell of lilacs!
We have a lilac tree in our front yard.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just the simple fact that winter is over and things start to thaw...Rain instead of snow, grass instead of snow, leaves budding instead of snow on the branches.....do you see a trend? :lol:
When you step outside and smell that wonderful poo smell in the air, you KNOW that spring has sprung and it get's me all jazzed up!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! No, don't have cow poo here...well near me anyway. It's just the smell of thawing rotten stuff.
It's funny, in the fall it smells like rich damp soil, but in the spring, it smells like poo.
I sometimes wonder if it's also from people not picking up their dog poop in the winter, and it all thaws at the same time.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
After long winters my favorite springtime activity is going to the nursery to buy annuals. I usually do this around Mother's Day each year and spend the better part of an afternoon filling the planters on our patio and raking the remnants of whatever has covered up the perennials. 🌷

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I love roaming around the back yard looking for signs that the perennials are coming up, checking my bushes to see what has survived or been damaged by winter creatures and I love peeking at my half dozen birdhouses to see if new nests are being built. Spring is also when I get the most variety at the bird feeders as some migrating birds stop here for a nibble, a drink from the heated birdbath and sometimes an actual bath in it. And lastly Spring brings back my duck couple that spend a few weeks in my yard or sunning on neighboring roofs before moving on to their summer headquarters.