Question Of The Day, Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive mostly stuck to Romance and WW2 style books like those WW2
Technically, there are tie-in books, so this is not completely off topic, but have you watched "Home Fires"? The books connected to it are by S. Block and Julie Summers, although, Summers books are more academic than novels. The tv series is wonderful, and the books pick up where it left off.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm a binge reader. When I read a book, I have to finish it before starting anything else. And I also tend to read books that end up being from a series, so I have to find out what happens next.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HAPPY READING!

More importantly than my reading habits is how the heck do I sign up for a library like that. I've always wanted a big room full of books with a ladder on wheels. I can search for the book I want when I want to read, or just ride the ladder back and forth when I'm bored :lol:

I tend to be a binge type reader who grazes. Some days I can get through 500 pages and others I'm lucky to hit 100 per week, but I do tend to get locked on a subject and stick with it until I get bored and go onto something else, but my favorites are ones I always come back to.
About a week ago I got through 250 or so pages of one of my old time favorites but I haven't gotten back to it since. I don't suppose it's going anywhere though.
I got this little book about astronomy and the planets from the 80's and it's fun to see how much we've discovered. Poor little Pluto :lol2:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a grazer - I have more books I've started with bookmarks in them that haven't moved. :rolleyes: Someone loans me a new book and I forget about the one laying on the shelf that I never finished. When I was younger I would read on my train commute all the time. I joined a book club group awhile ago because the leader was a librarian and good friend. She would choose a book for our monthly meeting and arrange for us to pick it up at the library. I remember being mesmerized by one particular book which I picked up and finished before ever leaving the library. :read:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call into both categories. It depends on the time I have available. As a kid I was school librarian and that was wonderful. I had tons of books at my fingertips. I keep shelves of books that I return to. Lots of old favorites. The Cat Who books are really fun. I like some of everything. If I am caught waiting somewhere and there is something there to read, I read it. Lol Car Repairs, Magazines for mechanics, doctor office, medical, vet office, veterinary medicine, phone store, sales pamphlets. :dunno: :lol:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call into both categories. It depends on the time I have available. As a kid I was school librarian and that was wonderful. I had tons of books at my fingertips. I keep shelves of books that I return to. Lots of old favorites. The Cat Who books are really fun. I like some of everything. If I am caught waiting somewhere and there is something there to read, I read it. Lol Car Repairs, Magazines for mechanics, doctor office, medical, vet office, veterinary medicine, phone store, sales pamphlets. :dunno: :lol:
I got hooked on Stephen King in the 70's and 80's. I still go back to the originals to this day.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read every night before going to sleep. I have been doing this before I could even read - I would look at my picture books before I even started school. It clears my mind from everything.

I get my books from thrift stores for .50 so I just browse until I see a cover that looks interesting. If I recognize an author I like I will pick that up. I mostly read historical novels and mysteries. If there is a cat involved so much the better.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work at a library, so being around books has enabled my "addiction" to reading. I don't really have a particular reading style though. I read whatever looks good, so that could be any fiction book. I typically don't read genre fiction like mystery or romance because I don't like the predictability when it comes to reading books (when I read fanfiction that's a different situation entirely). I read a lot of nonfiction too, typically medical history or memoir. I aim to read 100 books a year, and while I've done it in the past, it has been difficult with working full-time and also trying to make time to do some writing, then I'm starting grad school in the fall too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The few times I read an entire series, I find myself walking around dazed as if I live simultaneously in this world and in the series' world. A peculiar feeling...
LOL, I binge read the entire Outlander series at least twice a year, and am always shocked at where and when I actually am! I'll go to the store and be stunned that there are no Scots burrs.

The Cat Who books are really fun.
I have read a few of them throughout the decades, but now I have the WHOLE SERIES on my "to read" table! I'm going to dive into that as soon as I finish the Mrs. Murphy series, which is after the Tea Shop series, but I only have 4 of those to go...Well. I'll "cleanse my palate" with a couple of Mary Stewarts in between each series...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read a few of them throughout the decades, but now I have the WHOLE SERIES on my "to read" table!
With the Cat Who series, there's a gap in between the "old books" and the "new books". The old books are much better. The new ones are extremely formulaic. I still read them as a sort of comfort food but they just don't have the character of the old books. But enjoy!

I always was a binge reader. When I was a kid, I'd go to the library and take 10 books off the shelf, take them home and read them in a few days, then return them and take the next 10 books off the shelf. Sadly, I hardly ever read books anymore. Everything I read is online :/.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Um...I'm a binge reader and if i like an author i will read a lot of their work. I also re-read ones I like many times. I'm selective about what I like though. It must be clean. I read for fun; not to cry at the end. So unless I'm in the right mood; tear-jerkers won't do. I like to switch between historical, contemporary, western, etc as the mood strikes. If a series is interwoven well enough I really like going back and re-reading and picking up details I didn't the last time through. I like a little mystery and suspense; but there has to either be a good (clean) romance or a really compelling story line to go along with it. DH doesn't read as much as I do; but he goes for the heavier, suspenseful stuff. No thanks. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles , if you like clean, and you don't like tear-jerkers, you might enjoy cozy mysteries. No cursing, no sex, no gore to speak of, considering that they are murder mysteries, a lot of fun, and many of them feature cats as major players in the stories.