Question Of The Day, Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean, I sort of did when I started high school. That's when I decided I was going to go by Lari instead of my official name, Laura, which I've only been so-so on because it didn't really lend itself to nicknames and I'd always wanted one, and I wanted a new identity going to a new school that wasn't the girl who had been uncool and bullied in elementary school. I've never changed it officially, because Laura flows better with my middle name and I feel like it might hurt my parents' feelings.

Now if I could change it, I'm not sure I would because it feels like so much of my identity is up in my name. In fact, I'm struggling because I want to keep my eastern European last name after I get married, but I know my fiancé wants me to consider changing my last name to his. But I don't want to, because it's not me. Maybe if I was ten years younger this wouldn't be such an issue idk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This question actually sparked a lot more conversation than I had expected!

Ugh I have a hard enough time coming up with names for cats!

Never liked my name- Amy. It was to offset the long Polish last name. My mom wanted something easy but I wouldn't have minded something a bit more exotic. Not to mention there were way too many Amys in school.
LOL, one of my best friends and coworkers years ago was named Kasia Marisia Szcszcynske. I was the only person in our department who could both pronounce it AND spell it. She married a doctor whose name was Willem Van der Knapp, and they hyphenated their last names. AGAIN, LOL, he went to work for the government. I'll bet fitting that last name in those bitty boxes on gvt forms was fun!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would change it to Elphaba since most everyone I know calls me Elphaba or Elphie. Elphaba Eira Prynne or Elphaba Violette Snow might be nice. (All the women in my family have at least two middle names. I carried it on with my daughter and extended it to all of my cats.)

If I did not go with Elphaba, I think Verity Aoibhean Grey or Verity Adelaide Skye

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up I was “Susie”, as a teen I was “Sue” but as an adult I am “Susan” which fits me the best. I never really thought about having a different name.

Last edited:

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
  1. Dzień dobry Amy! I love my fellow Poles :salam: What's up, peeps?
  2. Amy was the name of my first childhood best friend so I hold your name dear to my heart :hugs:
  3. Every Amy I've ever met has been honest, kind and loyal as the day is long. I'm willing to bet the people who know you would agree with this!
    :rock:
  4. Amy means "beloved" :hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob: ... how lovely is that?
It's true and in that way I think the name fits. I had two very close friends named Amy growing up. So we were three Amys and we'd go on vacation with my family together. That made for a lot of humorous confusion.

One of the Polish surnames in the family is Wicz. I'm assuming it's pronounced Wiz...I never really had an issue with Karen, other than there were 5 other Karen's in class with me at school. :lol: I've never liked my middle name of Mary.
I think it's more pronounched like Vitch. I also had a few good girlfriends named Karen so it's always been a name I liked. I don't meet a lot of Karens anymore and Kara is not the same:(