Question of the Day, Wednesday, December 20, 2023

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :dancingblackcat: At this time of year I tend to do more baking and get out my spices. There are so many different spices I've never even tried but a few of my favorites are ceylon cinnamon, ginger, clove, cardamon and nutmeg. There are so many more not necessarily used in baking but for cooking too. In case you need some help here's a list:
These Are the Essential Spices Every Kitchen Should Have

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SPICE?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Depends on what it is I'm cooking/baking. I mean I wouldn't put pumpkin pie spice on fish or Old Bay in cookies.
Can you give an example of a spice you like to use in baking and another in cooking? I wouldn't like pumpkin pie spice in fish or Old Bay in cookies either. 😉

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use so many!The sweet spices I use a lot in my baking except for cardamom.Not a fan of it at all.I have so many "other" spices and seasonings that I use...kinda does depend what I'm cooking,but I will say I do use a lot of zaatar.Love that stuff !My chili powders,ancho and guajillo in particular,smoked paprika...more favorites.

Devia Morgenstern

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chili powder, cumin, cayenne, garlic powder [when real garlic is unavailable], and Italian seasoning [namely oregano rosemary, thyme, or sage], are my go to spices for day-to-day cooking.
If we're talking about baking, then usually cinnamon, cinnamon sugar, or pumpkin spice. Yes, I know that was more then one but shhhhh

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 I love saffron! I can't afford to buy it very often. Rick's mom used to tuck a small packet of saffron in my Christmas stocking for when I made Chicken Stoltzfus. She said that the grocery store kept it in a safe!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 I love saffron! I can't afford to buy it very often. Rick's mom used to tuck a small packet of saffron in my Christmas stocking for when I made Chicken Stoltzfus. She said that the grocery store kept it in a safe!
i don't blame the grocery store, ha!!!!
soooooo expensive. the ex and i used to eat at a Vietnamese restaurant and that is how
i was introduced it.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been using a lot of Trader Joe's Everything But the Bagel. We don't have Trader Joe's here in Canada, so when I occasionally go down into the US I hoard bottles and bottles of it to bring back :D

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you give an example of a spice you like to use in baking and another in cooking? I wouldn't like pumpkin pie spice in fish or Old Bay in cookies either. 😉
Still depends on what I'm using it on. Don't have a 'one spice fits all' for my recipes.