Question of the Day, Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I read a fair amount of cozy mysteries. Right now I am reading a rather predictable science fiction novel - I have trouble finding sci-fi that I enjoy these days. I also read some non-fiction. I prefer science, but have read history, medicine and biography.

I have got many books on eBay 20+ years ago - 60 books by a favorite author for less than $1 a copy - and I still like holding a book and turning pages. I did get an e-reader about 10 years ago. I try a lot of new stuff out on the e-reader. There is much free stuff out there, even from noted authors, if you get on mailing lists from BookBub and other book resources.

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll read pretty much anything. Favorites are biographies and true adventures. I read Demi Moore's book recently that was really good. I knew that'd be good so I actually ordered it from Barnes & Noble. I think I might be addicted to reading, because if there isn't anything to read in the house I'll read the dictionary. I almost always get my books at the thrift store (one nearby has them 12 for $1.00), unless it's just come out and I can't get it at the thrift store. Then when I'm done I donate them right back. I used to keep books but then the bookshelves were all full and I wasn't going to read them again so I thought why keep all that stuff? I have never tried an e-reader, but I don't think I'd like it. I stare at a computer all day at work so I don't feel like looking at a screen again in the evening.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how I would define my favorite fiction genres. I just kind of read what appeals to me. I work at a library, so I see hundreds sometimes thousands of books every day and the temptation is hard! My favorite types of nonfiction are memoirs, medical and science history, books about mental illness, self-improvement, women's history, oh boy, there are just so many!

I primarily read physical books. I listen to audio on my phone as well, but I mainly just read books. I own a Kindle Fire but I usually only use it to read fanfiction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
@monalyss33, you have my dream job. Looking back, I really should have majored in Library Science. The only thing I love more than books is cats!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read all the time, I can't imagine people who don't like to read. Some of my favorite genres are fantasy and historical fiction, but they have to be what I consider well written and engage my attention pretty quickly. I also like subjects such as reincarnation, alien abduction, near death experiences, etc. I've not too picky though if it's a good well written story. I read mostly on Kindles these days, and have Kindle Unlimited so I can experiment with books and, if I don't like it, get rid of it and try something else. I've read some very good books that I would never have considered buying the print copy.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually do most of my 'reading' now with audiobooks. I borrow them from the library and listen to them while I am working.
Check out Librivox.org. They're a sister project to Project Gutenberg, putting public domain books into audio format. (Remember, the books of Kipling, Mark Twain, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and other classic authors are all out of copyright now.)

The ereaders are nice because I can adjust the size of the print, they are backlit so I can read in the dark at motels when we travel, (my husband doesn't share my crazy hours) and it is so much cheaper to download a book then to buy it.
:yeah: Additionally, with e-readers I can't lose books (I've lost a heck of a lot of paper books to flooding in our basement), and I can take as many as I want along with me. And if you're on the BookBub and Early Bird Books email lists you're notified of available discounts daily.

Also, a few months ago my clutch went out when I was driving on the highway at night. I was able to pull over out of traffic, but my cell phone had zero bars so I couldn't call for help, and I didn't want to turn on the interior light so people could see the car was occupied and stop to help because I didn't want to run down the car battery. So I pulled out my Nook and turned it on. I didn't read it - I was too busy watching traffic - but I put it on my lap and leaned it against the steering wheel so it was shining on my face, so people could see there was someone in the car, and it worked. A very kind young woman and her dog stopped to help me. I couldn't have done that with a paper book.

Honestly, I'll read pretty much anything I can get my hands on.
:yeah: Cereal boxes, pharmacy notifications about potential drug interactions that I already know about, warning labels on extension cords... I don't say I enjoy reading them, but I do read them, compulsively.

I wonder if they make readers specifically for people with vision issue.
Kindle, Kobo, Nook, basically all of them have computer apps available, so that you can read on a bigger screen.
To answer your questions, for all of the reasons mentioned above, at this point I prefer reading on my Nook Color.

I enjoy mysteries, S.F., fantasy, science fact, biography, pretty much everything except horror and thrillers. I recently re-read all of the Liavek (shared universe from the 1980s) fantasy stories on my Nook. I'm currently in the middle of re-reading all of the Peter Shandy mysteries, by Charlotte MacLeod, on the Nook; I put all of them on my BookBub wish list months ago, and I finally have the complete set again (these were among the books that were destroyed by the basement flood). (Incidentally, the first Peter Shandy mystery, Rest You Merry, is a book that I try to read every Christmas season - it has one of the funniest first chapters I've ever read, about a middle-aged professor playing a practical joke on all the people who've been trying to force him to decorate his house for Christmas.) Over the years I've read, and worn out, and discarded, and bought again more copies of Lord of the Rings than I can count; I bought my final copy a couple of Christmases ago, when it was on sale for 5 or 6 bucks through BookBub. Can't wear this one out, because it's digital.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: Cereal boxes, pharmacy notifications about potential drug interactions that I already know about, warning labels on extension cords... I don't say I enjoy reading them, but I do read them, compulsively.
LOL, I think I have the back of my Epsom salt box memorized! You'd think I'd remember to take a book in there with me!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In theory, I would prefer to read online, but I never do it! So I'm still using regular books. I love the idea of online though, because then there is less clutter.

My favorite types of books are romance, Christian romance, biography, autobiography, and cookbooks.