Question of the Day, Wednesday, August 9, 2023

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :dancingblackcat: Every time the seasons change here there are different weather concerns that go along with them, e.g. winter brings blizzards, polar vortex; spring torrential downpours with the possibility of flooding and tornadoes; summer high temps and humidity with the worry that we'll lose power/electricity, etc., etc.

What natural disasters concern you in the area where you or your family live?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything where the power goes out. I hate it, it's hard to do anything. But luckily the power doesn't go out as much these days. I also hate snow and rain on the weekends when I wanna go out for coffee, lunch, shopping. I hate the cold and wet. I like sandals and no coat weather. Wish I lived down South, but they have other problems like tornadoes, earthquakes, snakes, mountain lions. Can't win.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
living in the middle kinda close enough to drive to mountains but far enough to not worry about all the fires same with the ocean no worries about flooding etc.only concerns is earth quakes a lil bit i figure i'll die any ways being on bottom floor of a 3 level apartment complex a left side affected stroke survivor. i'm not gonna be running out to to safety anytime soon :lol: much less able to carry graycie while doing so best i can hope for is to get her out some way before i'm trapped.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mainly tornadoes and bad wind storms. Flooding is sometimes a concern. Though to be honest, high heat and drought scares me more.

We have gotten ice storms in the past, but they're rare and I'm a fan, lol.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I've ever had to be scared of the heat here in Upstate NY. It's winter cold most of the year besides July and August. In fact, it's rather chilly here now in August, so we didn't even get our two months of hot weather this summer. Maybe the winter will be milder. I hope so! December, January, February, March are the worst months with snow and ice. I hate the wet and mud.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ice storms and the power outages that come with them. They are usually followed by a dip in temperature and no power. The worst we had here for this lasted 5 days over Christmas. The ice storm came through the day before Christmas then it turned frigid cold. They opened up shelters in schools since it was over Christmas but with two cats that wasn't possible for me.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We can get a little bit of almost everything here. I’ve gotten in the master closet with everyone more than once. We’ve had a power outage during a blizzard. Hurricanes. Excessive heat and humidity. We’ve had minor earthquakes.

One thing I like about living here is that we miss the extremes. Like we CAN get hurricanes; but not that often. We can get tornadoes; but they are often smaller. Severe thunderstorms with heavy rain are common but its sandy enough that and flash flooding is only in urban areas. The creek near us flooded once but its still far enough away that I didn’t see it with my own eyes. No structures were in danger.

But we still get 4 seasons and all the nice parts of that too.

This was a few weeks ago. Pardon my editing.
5FFCF0E0-49EF-4B1E-B5CC-B3198BE7017D.jpeg

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in NJ - hurricanes and flooding can be an issue. The town I'm in has a lot of flood zones and while we aren't in one if there's excessive rainfall even we get water in our basement and, have had water migrating that seeps through our main living room window but luckily placing towels at the sills is about all we need to ensure no water reaches the floors.

Blizzards used to be on that list to be but we haven't had a bad one in several years (thanks global warming). We're usually pretty well equipped to make it through power outages since we plan in advance. Got smart about that after dealing with Hurricane Sandy and not having power for a week.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing we have here are wildfires and most of those are not 'natural'. Although some are caused by dry lightning.
Also the wind. It's normal to get 50mph sustained winds with 70mph gusts for a week at a time. I'm afraid it's going to take my roof. Although we have 100% insurance coverage, so maybe this would be a good thing.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Earthquakes and wildfires. Since we had to evacuate three years ago because of a wildfire, we now keep go-bags packed and stored in the closet. I’ll have to admit that they’re filled mostly with cat food. :lol: We also have a portable solar power station in case the power goes out for an extended time.