Question of the Day - Tuesday, May 19

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone! Happy Tuesday! I hope everyone is well :catlove:

I'm actually having a little bit of a difficult week - For one, my Great Pyrenees passed away the other day. It's been a bit of a lonely and sad experience but thankfully my kitties have been wonderful.Now on to the Q!

Now it goes without saying that both genders are equally awesome and interesting, thus for pure lightheartedness:

What about the opposite sex confuses you the most?

The willingness to...go to the bathroom almost anywhere, lets say. Particularly on the side of the street specifically 😬 :cringe: (I don't mean somewhere like in a forest or something as an emergency) Not a fan :lol: Not crazy common thankfully but it has happened a few times in my lifetime.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Motivation. DH is easy. DS is still a mystery. DH thrives on a to-do list. DS procrastinates.

I’ve never understood the need to “water the trees” in the woods either. If women can hold it; why cant they? I’ve asked DH. He has no explanation. Even when they visit a bathroom just before we hike.:dunno: Its gotta be some primal urge to mark territory or something. I laughed when DH had to deal with DS in the middle of kayaking when he was littler. He got a taste of his own medicine!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm actually having a little bit of a difficult week - For one, my Great Pyrenees passed away the other day.
I'm so sorry about the passing of your Pyrenees, they are an extremely handsome gentle white giant. 🐾 Being a dog lover too I can empathize as to what you're going through. My sincere and heartfelt sympathies. :hugs:

Regarding what confuses me about the opposite sex I'd probably have to say not putting the toilet seat lid down. I would have said not stopping to ask for directions when driving but with the use of GPS that doesn't happen too often anymore.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so, so sorry your sweet dog passed away. <3

As for the question: their inability to "see" things right in front of them. I had a come to Jesus with B about how he needs to actually LOOK. He is great about doing things...if I ask him to. But if I were to just grind all my cleaning to a halt, our house would be a disaster. Putting away dishes, clothes, etc...it's as if it just doesn't register that there is stuff that neds to be done on the daily.

I described it to him like this. I have a constant list of stuff to do around the house (you can't not have one with three indoor cats), prepare for dinner, what we're going to be doing next weekend- and he is oblivious to it all. You can't have your own household and just not keep it up. He is actively working on it, but man, it drives me insane!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't call it gender-specific, but it's definitely something I've encountered more with men than with women-the willingness to wear shorts in winter :cold:

Or maybe it's just the men in my family :lol:
:yeah: I see men wearing shorts in the winter, too. Someone I worked with at a previous job wore nothing but shorts all year, even in the middle of a freezing blizzard :dunno: Not sure if it's to show off how manly or tough they are or what.

To stave off my feminist tirade, I will just say that I'm confused by the inability to aim and then the inability to clean up after poor aim.
:yeah: too. Mom is always cleaning the floor around the toilet because Dad doesn't aim, especially at night when he doesn't bother to turn the bathroom light on :doh: :cringe:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: too. Mom is always cleaning the floor around the toilet because Dad doesn't aim, especially at night when he doesn't bother to turn the bathroom light on :doh: :cringe:
I work with one or two males (I can't remember, it's been forever since I've been to work it feels like) among 25 females, so it's really annoying to experience this at work, especially when it gets on the seat even though the seats do lift.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I described it to him like this. I have a constant list of stuff to do around the house (you can't not have one with three indoor cats), prepare for dinner, what we're going to be doing next weekend- and he is oblivious to it all.
Its like we have completely different mental loads. That got 10x worse for me after having kids. DH is great about getting stuff done around the house and keeping cars and accounts up; but he doesn’t get the mental load of motherhood unless I explain it. He will tell me about an appointment 3 months out and I’m immediately consumed with finding a sitter and all managing that day will require. It was worse when they were babies and needed diapers and bottles! 🤪 Meanwhile DH is blissfully ignorant of all the browser tabs open in my head! :lol:
To stave off my feminist tirade, I will just say that I'm confused by the inability to aim and then the inability to clean up after poor aim.
This is the best benefit of marrying a man with several older sisters! :lol: And a germophobe FIL. He came so well trained!:flail:
Someone I worked with at a previous job wore nothing but shorts all year, even in the middle of a freezing blizzard :dunno:
DH has a coworker like this. They don’t work in a climate controlled environment! It makes no sense. :dunno:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll wear shorts in. . .well, not winter really, but in the fall and spring when it's cold enough to wear a jacket. South Dakotans love rocking the "jacket with shorts" look, lol. My legs just don't get as cold as my upper half. I think women don't do it as much because generally we're under more pressure to dress "nicely". But if you don't care about that, why not?

I can't really think of any gender-based sterotypes that aren't based on culture right now. Except maybe not aiming, and whizzing outdoors, but those have been covered ;).

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
:rbheart: I'm so sorry for your loss cassiopea cassiopea ... it's never easy. :hugs:

MonaLyssa33 MonaLyssa33 posted the first thing I thought of.:lol:
I remember reading a study that really resonated.. it was saying that men are far more likely to believe they are right, even when they are wrong. With women, it's the other way around. So I'll go with that. (To our male members... this, of course, does not apply to you as you love cats, which makes you the exception to the rule ;))

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why there're even here. (Excluding the males of TCS)
Hee hee. :lol:

What confuses me is when they give you the silent treatment. What does it even mean? I can never figure it out. It's much better to keep communicating and talk things over.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hee hee. :lol:

What confuses me is when they give you the silent treatment. What does it even mean? I can never figure it out. It's much better to keep communicating and talk things over.
I used to always get accused of the silent treatment until some little gear in the girlfreinds head clicked and she would ask me what are you thinking about..I would say I am (for example ) I am thinking of a new suspension setup for the race car and tell her about it then get told thats boring and shut up.
Us guys cant win. :doh:
As for bad aim..I am an ex target shooter..i never miss..well most of the time. ;)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to always get accused of the silent treatment until some little gear in the girlfreinds head clicked and she would ask me what are you thinking about..I would say I am (for example ) I am thinking of a new suspension setup for the race car and tell her about it then get told thats boring and shut up.
So guys just have a lot on their minds when they get quiet like that? Well it makes sense. These are hard times...