Question of the Day - Tuesday, March 1

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hellloooooooooo there! Happy first Tuesday of MARCH! And first day of March altogether! 🌹

What food did you think was super fancy when you were a kid?

Leclerc Cookies - My grandmother, who was a very elegant lady who lived in an elegant home, often had them during certain hosting occasions like an apéritif, alongside other small snacks. They were very nice cookies and always thought they were so classy and thus probably pricey :lol: but turns out they are less than a dollar a box! Not that I mind 👍

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course, as a kid, I thought lobster was de luxe. Didn't get much of it as a kid, and developed a dislike for it later on. Finally recovered a taste for it, then developed a shellfish allergy (Oh, pooh!). Finally, the allergy waned and I could eat it again, but it's still tooooo expensive!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
We lived off of home canned foods. Most tasted okay but were never as pretty in color as store bought. So for me the absolute fanciest food was a can of store peaches, so beautiful yellow in color with that thick sweet syrup.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad had a mini fridge in his den that we weren't allowed to take stuff from, and it was always stocked with Koala Springs sodas (ok, they were labeled as mineral water but they were clearly sodas!). I'm pretty sure they were only about $1 a bottle but we kids thought they were the height of luxury every time we were allowed to have one, lol.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We lived off of home canned foods. Most tasted okay but were never as pretty in color as store bought. So for me the absolute fanciest food was a can of store peaches, so beautiful yellow in color with that thick sweet syrup.
Tinned peaches with evaporated milk! Much better than milk puddings - at least until I had to read, and write a precis of Dylan Thomas's short story "The Peaches" and started to learn about social inequalities and realised where I belonged - certainly not at the top end of the social ladder!
I loved the fizzy drink "Tizer" - a special treat on Sundays. This was probably before the days of coke and pepsi being available everywhere. 🤣

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On Christmas Eve my grandma always had shrimp and she had the little plastic sword skewers. They were brightly colored and pretty. They only got used at Christmas and I'm 99.9% certain she washed and reused them because we couldn't play with them. (Of course; knowing Gram, she probably thought we would sword fight and hurt each other. :lol:)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just remember at restaurants when my dad would order some bird thingy that had tiny paper chefs hats on the leg ends. (Whatever those are called). You could put them on your index fingers.

The paper things are just called frills :)

Leclerc Cookies
There's a similar cookie sold in supermarkets these days called Lu Petite Ecolar.

Lobster and crab were pretty fancy when I grew up. The only time we seemed to have them was if we had relatives visiting. Going out to eat at a restaurant for dinner was fancy, too.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
fancy to me is subjective like going to suit and tie places to eat. prime rib nice cuts of steak etc. along with crab/lobster other seafoods i got to eat regularly growing up. my family likes to eat so theres nothing better to me than buying a bunch of expensive food cooking it up and eating it together as a family even better when you got all the aunts/uncles and cousins together to have a loud and messy time of eating together :biggrin: