Question of the Day - Tuesday, January 30

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello hello! Happy Tuesday!

What is something that tourists do in your country/region/city that you dislike?

Of course, most tourists can be pretty amazing, interesting and definitely appreciate them. I'm regularly a tourist myself and certainly try my best to be a good one!

In any case, in my town we get bus tours of tourists from a certain country - and we have a problem of them committing theft in our stores🤦‍♀️ and I experienced this myself for 6 years when I used to work in retail at a boutique as a beauty advisor. Bus would park outside our store, about 30-35 would come in and theft was always a big issue.

As a country in a whole Canada is often underestimated in terms of our vast size in space and nature. Our rivers, waterfalls, mountains and forests are massive and sometimes the odd tourist dies because they didn't understand safety in terms of things like water currents, distance or being unalived by wild animals. And yet we get in trouble for it :ohwell: It's like mam/sir, there is a reason why there is a giant sign there on why to shouldn't be standing past the fence on the rocks alongside this HUGE waterfall nor is that giant grizzly bear cute and friendly.

*Not calling anyone dumb or anything and much empathy to family or friends, but please kindly do research and obey rules 😅 Just like anywhere else.

tumblr_lqi0yxRSTf1qa06xko1_400.gif

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
We have a similar issue with people not understanding the perils of the ocean, and drowning or requiring rescuing.
Also, feeding the Dingoes on Fraser Island is just sheer stupidity.
I've also seen some very, very sunburned tourists.
Many people do not understand that Australia is mainly desert and will hire unsuitable cars for long journeys that once again, require that they need rescuing,, or they just don't make it. Break down out of phone range with no water and it's pretty well curtains.
Also people from countries where bartering is the norm, trying to get a lower price.

Goodness.. I had no idea I had so many answers to this one. :lol:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree! We really don't have much tourism in our town, The only thing we have that is spotlighted around the state is a bakery, Sehnerts, that has been here for over a hundred years and is known quite wide. No trouble though, we are known as the Hot Spot, but I don't know why anyone would want to try that out and sweat! The one thing i absolutely hate about tourism in general is the trash tehy leave behind. i hate seeing all those plastic cups and trash laying around beautiful parks, etc. and how stupid can you be trying to get close to a buffalo or bear for a picture!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my immediate area, we don't see many tourists, although I once spotted Dr. Pol, but that's another story for another time.
About the only irritant is when shoppers from Canada visit the outlet mall and, to avoid paying duties on their clothing purchases, change into the new in their cars, and just dump the old onto the parking lot, so there are piles of old clothes everywhere. And yes, I have seen the cars with Ontario plates doing just that. A minor thing, I know, but there it is.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The biggest issue here is tourists speeding and reckless driving. I hear of pedestrians hit multiple times every year. Both young adults and foreign workers come for tourist season and many depend on a bicycle for transportation. Share the roads; not drive like a maniac. Its so unnecessary. There are bicycle and bus lanes but they also serve as entrances to all the shops/restaurants/etc. I avoid the tourist areas until the off season or I make DH drive. But he deals with them enough at work.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our city/town isn't very touristy, but I will echo what others have said about the sheer disregard and yes, stupidity, in relation to respecting the wildlife (don't feed the bears!!!) and nature (pick up your darn garbage, and no, that selfie isn't worth your life!). One thing that's a bit more specific is those who go boating or fishing. Please let your boat completely dry out and clean them off when/if you travel between different waterways. Invasive species of plant and fish are becoming more of an issue. Even if a lake is in the same geographical area, one lake may be "infected" while the other is not and people work really hard to eradicate such things and try to keep the invasion contained so our local ecosystem stays healthy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There are not a lot of tourists in my immediate area, but family member from other countries come to visit. This is not under the category of "dislike", but I did have to stop a young man from trying to rescue a coyote that he believed was a dog.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't get many tourists here. There is an apple festival once a year, but I stopped going. I was always shocked by how many people take their babies and dogs out to that event. It's practically shoulder to shoulder and what if there is a stampede? It's always been kind of an artsy town and someone broke a few of the huge face jugs on the sidewalk on Main Street. Any of the locals could have been just as easily guilty. The thing I hate most is driving impaired. Whether you live here or not, don't drive under the influence of anything. You might meet a few of my friends at the jail. :biggrin:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not much tourism in Columbus OH. There is Ohio State University so there are the kids often with their parents coming in the fall and leaving in the spring. There is also the Ohio State Michigan games when they are in Columbus. I live in a suburb on the other side of Columbus so we aren't affected here by the University.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My biggest thing is when people come up to the mountain to get away from the Phoenix heat, and think laws don't apply to them. I remember being in the store one day during a stage 3 fire restriction. The tourists in front of me had all sorts of camping items, and were talking about a campfire. I couldn't help myself and informed them that they couldn't have a fire and they told me that the restriction was only for residents and didn't apply to them, that our town needed them to survive....Um....no we don't, we need the mountain to stay the way it is.
This mentality is why the mountain is on fire every summer. I wanted to hurt them.
Also, the traffic is insane and the garbage they leave in the wilderness. ('if you bring it in, you pack it out' is my rule)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Litter - we get a lot of tourists during the summer along the lakefront and they throw their garbage everywhere. :yelling:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Minnesota isn't a tourist-centric place, so this is hard to say. If I had to say something, I'd say that the Mall of America is over-hyped. I can't even remember the last time I was there. I also think a lot of people underestimate how beautiful Minnesota is.

As for the country as a whole, I think a lot of foreigners do not realize how huge the country is. A 6 hour road trip to Chicago, for example, is not a big deal to me, but I know that you can drive across the entirety of several European countries in less time and that is not a common thing Europeans will do (but they also have significantly better public transportation).

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Minnesota isn't a tourist-centric place, so this is hard to say. If I had to say something, I'd say that the Mall of America is over-hyped. I can't even remember the last time I was there. I also think a lot of people underestimate how beautiful Minnesota is.

As for the country as a whole, I think a lot of foreigners do not realize how huge the country is. A 6 hour road trip to Chicago, for example, is not a big deal to me, but I know that you can drive across the entirety of several European countries in less time and that is not a common thing Europeans will do (but they also have significantly better public transportation).
I used to enjoy trips visiting the MOA in Minneapolis. But after news reports of violence there. I only visit when I need to visit the Airport.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in London, but thankfully my town in the suburbs isn't a tourist hotspot, so we don't get many here, but when I go up to the city centre or to other more touristy parts of the city, I do get bothered by tourists easily if they're holding me up by constantly snapping photos or in large groups clogging up the road.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say that the Mall of America is over-hyped.
It is. . .but I do love wandering around Ikea, lol. And some of the food places at the Mall are great.

Most of the tourists here are pheasant hunters, and they aren't great. They generally stumble around drunk, shooting wherever they please, and often leave their dogs behind when they go. It's been less bad for the last few years---drought and pandemic---but ugh.