Question of the Day - Tuesday, April 21

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings to all! Happy Tuesday! :bluepaw:

What’s the worst thing you’ve eaten out of politeness?

Fish Soup....with plenty of the bones left behind. Oh boy it was really difficult not to gag each time :nervous:

download8888.gif

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blood sausage. Although, I wasn't polite about it :lol: My dad grew up eating blood sausage and actually enjoyed it, so he wanted us to try it. We grudgingly ate our meal, as our dad devoured his laughing at us the whole time. We never had it for dinner again.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ham with a raisin pineapple glaze. I am not a picky eater at all but that was so bad that I can still remember the taste. I was only 9/10 at the time I think. It was some kind of special outing for just my Mom, Grandma and I. The restaurant was in a cool old Victorian house out in the country somewhere surrounded by fields. They decorated it with very large plants; which I had a real phobia of. Being such an old house; it didn't have central air of any kind so the windows were open and my allergies were going insane. I literally used up an entire packet of tissues my Grandma had in her purse. The food took a long time to come and then there was so much glaze it might as well have been frosted. It was SO strong. I remember scrapping it off but I just couldn't lose the taste. :barfgreen: The restaurant was crowded though so I guess other people had good meals. :lol2:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, thankfully, have never eaten anything out of politeness that was gross. Everyone I know who would ever make me anything knows I have cibophobia and a bunch of allergies, so they never seem offended when I just do not eat something. My husband, on the other hand, has. The one that sticks out was at the wedding of someone very dear to us. They served ham paste sandwiches. He had never heard of them or seen them. My ex-husband's great-grandma who lived with us used to make ground bologna paste, so I have seen something similar. I warned him. The couple whose wedding it was was standing in the path to the garbage, so he ate it out of politeness. He described it as "think, pickle-flavored, ham mush on stale bread."

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My neighbor would bring over hot cross buns once a year for the holidays and they were awful. Although I liked her the first thing I said when she moved was NO more hot cross buns. :biggrin:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pizzelle cookies with anise flavoring. I didn't know that anise is one of the traditional flavorings, I had always had them with almond or vanilla flavor. It was an Easter dinner at my future daughter-in-law's parents home. I took one bite and it had anise flavoring and I was stuck. I managed to finish it but if I had it to do over again I would have left that cookie on the cookie plate.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't think of anything specific. I haven't really encountered a lot of bad cooks. I did have a spinach salad at a friend's house and her husband just drenched it in ranch dressing. Not great...

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My then daughter in law’s chocolate chip cookies. I do love any kind of cookies but I bit into hers and could barely swallow the first bite. But I ate the cookie and then asked her recipe. “Oh, the one the chip bag” she said, “but I substituted olive oil for the butter to make them healthier”. Now I do like olive oil but it makes for a really bad cookie.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate the texture of most meat, so any time I'm in a situation where it would be rude to not eat the meat (because I'd been brought to that restaurant specifically as some sort of welcome gesture or it was a group dinner and everyone watches you) I suffer greatly. One time I just wanted naengmyeon (cold noodle soup) and didn't realize that when I ordered the noodles, it came with grilled meat. And I was the only one in the restaurant. And the owners basically sat there and watched me. And so I gagged down a couple of pieces and when they asked about why I didn't eat all of the meat (was it not good?) I blurted out something about not being good at eating meat...lol.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I was having dinner at my friend's house when I was in grade 8. Her mother had made
split pea soup and fish sandwiches. The sandwich was horrendous. She usually cooked
very well but this time she missed. I guess I was the only one who thought so because
my friend ate it and her dad said, "Great sandwich, Nadine!" I'll never forget that. What
was he smokin'??? I managed to eat a few bites, gave a few pieces to Ginger, their dachshund,
who was under the table and put the rest of it deep into the rubbish bin.