Question of the Day - Thursday November 16, 2023

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you live near where you grew up? How far away (if you are comfortable sharing)? If you live near your hometown, would you ever move far away? If you live far from your hometown, would you ever move closer?

I live about 10 miles from where I grew up. I don't see myself ever leaving the Twin Cities area, honestly. If I were to move, it would be on the outskirts of the metro area, but definitely still in Minnesota.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. Even when I was growing up I didn’t live near where I grew up - my father always had ideas above his income and we were perennially moving house, and suburb (we lived in one of Australia’s largest capitals). In the fifty-plus years since he left I’ve moved four times, once to a different state, and now live in a large regional city in my home state. I don’t want to move closer. It’s too expensive, crowded and noisy, and I don’t know how much has changed post-Covid. I like where I am much better.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No...we moved some 1500 miles west back in '77 and have never looked back.Oh NY state has some beautiful areas,no doubt about it,but it's not home anymore.I felt that when we went back for a funeral,and again after that ,so I feel like we made the right decision.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, I just looked it up with a mileage calculator and it is 758 miles.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live about a thousand miles from where I grew up - Arlington, VA. I would love to live in Virginia again but not around DC. It's gotten just too urbanized. In any case, I'm too old now to make the move.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i moved about 20 minutes away to the next city with a reputation for having the rich trendy girls back in high school :lol:. i wouldnt move far away from my dad he is old so i wanna stick around the area close by him plus gf is less than a mile from her work not likely we will move farther away when we live so close to her job.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live about 70 miles from where I grew up but I work in that area. Takes about an hour and a half to get from home to work. My mom still lives in my childhood home but I don't see her anymore because she became a hoarder after I left and the house is gross. I would love to move to Montana or Idaho and leave the East Coast behind never to visit again but I adore where I live right now and my house so it would tear me apart if someone else was living in my home.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in my hometown. I left as a child moving over 1200 miles away. I returned to my hometown 29 years ago to care for family. I enjoyed many years of away time. Considering how the world has changed moving away would be foolish.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Google maps says I live 21 miles from where I grew up. I don't know that I'd want to live right in my hometown (although growing up I couldn't imagine leaving), but I like the area I live in now. I honestly don't think I'd be happy ever moving too far away from the Chicagoland area. Most of our families and support systems are around here.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Somewhat. I’m approximately 350 miles from where I was born and spent the first half of my childhood. I’m probably 10 from where I spent the second half.

I would never move back to where my family is to live full time. The weather and economy/taxes are big factors. I do love visiting though. I’m content here but DH would like to move back to his hometown after retirement. I told him he might not find what he thinks will be there. Especially if his parents are gone. We should just learn from my parents and wait and see where our kids/grandkids settle because they moved away when my mom retired and the grandkid withdrawls have been super hard on her. It doesn’t matter how pretty the place without the people to enjoy it with.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live one street over from my childhood (baby to 9 years) home. We did move when I was 9 to another location...but even that home was only about a 5-6 minute drive away.
I really don't want to move to a different town...but if I did, it would be to a small community and only if I were to be able to buy my dream property/home, which is a farm or at least acreage where I don't have close neighbors and can live a nice quiet life...it would really have to be "worth it" to pick up and move far from home.
All my family is still here, except for a few aunts/uncles/cousins that we didn't see all that much. But my immediate family are all close, everyone within less than 10 minutes drive.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I live about seven miles from childhood home. The farthest away I have lived was about twenty miles away while I was in college. Then after I graduated I moved to within three miles and then my second house at 7 miles. Living relatively close was great when my mother was living with poor health and I could be at her house in less than ten minutes. At this point in life I am here til the end.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in my hometown. I left as a child moving over 1200 miles away. I returned to my hometown 29 years ago to care for family. I enjoyed many years of away time. Considering how the world has changed moving away would be foolish.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up in the city, (Chicago), and go back there all the time since my roots are there. I love the lakefront, museums, opera, theater, ethnic restaurants, shops, etc. in the city. We moved to the suburbs for our jobs and the schools were good for our kids but they have grown up and the burbs are boring now.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lived all over the place growing up, so don't have a set standard amount of distance since it varies so much! Let alone a "proper" hometown (Europe, Asia, Quebec, Nova Scotia, now in Ontario) I was born in Montreal though, and I live about 2 hours away from there, which is about 205 KM.