Question of the Day - Thursday, May 17th

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Do you eat leftovers?

I know a fair amount of people that throw out leftovers at their house and do not take home their leftovers at a restaurant. Since I am the one that cooks, I gladly eat leftovers and take home leftovers from a restaurant. That's less cooking I have to do. :lol3:

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We try to eat leftovers.    I still feel guilty about throwing out food -- guess it goes back to my childhood and my mom never believing in wasting anything!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, we do! And we always bring leftovers home for a resturaunt for later!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
it depends on what it's leftovers of! If it's macaroni (Especially lasagna) or some chinese takeout, I'll save it for for the next day.. sometimes it tastes better!

I'd usually save food with intentions of eating it the next day or so, but I usually never do and winds up in the trash

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to eat them for the most part, but sadly, yes, some gets thrown out. If I make Hawaiian meatballs, I NEVER throw out left overs...they taste sooooo much better the second time around lol.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on what it is. On the weekends I usually make big meals (Huge pots of spaghetti, chilie, 6 chicken breasts, roasts, etc) just so we DO have good lunches during the week. I make sides to go with some but most of them get tossed. I use rice a lot for a side and that doesn't reheat well and usually there aren't enough veggies for even one meal so I toss the left overs. 

At a restaurant, if I liked the meal, heck yeah the rest is going with me! I paid for it, I'll eat it!  

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So true.  And some time you don't even need to offer the food if your dogs big enough to just grab it off counter:p

I try to not waste but I get cravings of I want just xyz and ONLY that.  Maybe I need a second dog? 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You're talking to the leftover queen. Yes, we do eat leftovers. If I make a roast on Sunday, Rick knows that we're going to be having fijitas or wraps with the leftovers on Tuesday or Wednesday. Or stir-fry. Or a meat pie. Or creamed chicken over biscuits. It goes with the territory around here. Soups and stews and chili taste better the second time around. Rick will take leftovers in his lunch....he says he'd rather have leftover spaghetti and garlic bread or beef stew and a yeast roll than a deli-meat sandwich.

When our son was in school, he always took his lunch instead of buying it at school. And his lunch was always something leftover from dinner the night before. But he said he'd rather have that than the stuff they served at school.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Guess what we just had for lunch? :lol3: DH has an ever-changing work schedule, so I usually cook enough for two meals at a time when I know we won't be eating together the next day.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad actually eats leftover spaghetti, chili, etc. for breakfast. He doesn't like traditional "breakfast foods". People think he's strange when they find out, but then he gets the fun of explaining that "breakfast food" is an advertising ploy made up by the Post company in the 1800s, and before that everybody ate dinner leftovers for breakfast. . .:tongue2:

There are some foods I prefer as leftovers. Spaghetti, especially. It's had longer to sit in the sauce and soak up the flavor :lol3:.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great question today :D!!! Oh yes, we eat leftovers all the time. I use my slow cooker usually on Monday or Tuesday to make a big meal for us. We will eat it the next day as well. Then I might put a container in Larry's lunch. I think leftovers taste yummy :yummy: for some reason. :lol3:

Last edited:

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anybody make Refrigerator Stew/Soup? THe ultimate use of leftovers and a specialty of my Mom. Just take all the bits and pieces left over (within reason ) and throw it in a pot with stock/tomato juice.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anybody make Refrigerator Stew/Soup? THe ultimate use of leftovers and a specialty of my Mom. Just take all the bits and pieces left over (within reason ) and throw it in a pot with stock/tomato juice.
LOL, I don't think my mom has tried that--my dad is picky and if it looks gross he won't eat it. But he did once mix chili and mac & cheese when there wasn't enough of either for a full meal, and he liked it so much that now he always mixes them. Who knows what he'll mix next! :lol3:

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We never throw away leftovers right away. I usually make extra and my husband will eat the leftovers for lunch the next day. If we don''t eat them after a couple of days, they go into the green bin. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most defiantly!  If I cook on the weekend, then it's nice to have when you get home from work, & don't feel like cooking!  "Just reheat, & dinner is ready!!"

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It makes me angry when people waste food, with the price I have to pay for everything skyrocketing, and so many living beings going without on this earth.  Short answer=you better believe I do!

snowwhitekitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i never cook enough food to have left overs because im terrified tha i wouldnt eat them and waste the food ...

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We always save our left over food.   We always take home our left overs from the restaurant.  We both grew up in poor families and we remember how hard everything was to come by.  Acutally there are a lot of foods that taste better the next day.  Yesterday we ate in town at the Texas Steakhouse.  They have two steak meals for $20.  The meal is served with the onion blossom appetizer, which we ate, yeast rolls, choice of two sides.  He got salad and loaded baked potato.  I got salad and baked sweet potato.  They didn't get the steaks done, so we sent them back.  We ate our salad, some rolls the potatoes and the onion blossom.  When they brought the steaks back, we were too full to eat anything else, plus they had put us both another potato.  We brought home the steak, baked potato, sweet potato and three yeast rolls. Tonight hubby lit the grill  and heated the steaks.  I warmed the potatoes and rolls in the toaster oven and served it with peas and carrots.  We got a lot of mileage out of that $20.  Delicious.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
As I'm a diabetic, I must limit portions. Also, most restaurants give HUGE portions!  I usually can get 3 meals out of 1 serving, especially if it's a pasta dish--sometimes 5 servings, if I eat the leftovers with bread or vegetables.

The only food I won't take home is a hamburger. They are most unappealing when re-heated!  I just eat half the burger part, and the rest of the bun, etc.  Also, I rarely take home the fries. I'm not a big fry person anyway.