Question of the Day, Thursday June 29, 2023

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a clarification: A landline is a phone line NOT connected to an internet provider. It is an old type phone which plugs directly into a wall telephone jack; Not the cable/internet modem, and in broadband providers: Comcast/Xfinity, Spectrum, etc.
Verizon has a separate billing account and bill for a dedicated landline. It is not included in your cable bill.
There is no association between a landline telephone and a cable/internet provider. The ones which are associated with a 'package', are internet phones, and go down when cable or internet goes down.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still have my landline and I don't have a cell phone. I'll probably have to cave and get one in the near future because of all the things that require one...but I don't want to.
My husband has his cell, so if we travel we can just use his for emergencies and whatnot.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Good point artiemom artiemom about the landline versus a phone connected through the internet.

I have both, and I do mean the old fashioned landline. I even have a couple of phones that have no answering machine...the really old kind that only plug into a phone jack. It is part of my "Girl Scout always prepared there could be an emergency" mindset.

Ten years ago when we had a massive windstorm and no electricity and spotty wireless coverage, I was able to use them to make phone calls.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add that not only do I still have a landline that will work no matter if we have weather/power/internet issues. But I also still have a working rotary phone, portable phones don't work during a power outage...but rotary phones do. :)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Good point artiemom artiemom about the landline versus a phone connected through the internet.

I have both, and I do mean the old fashioned landline. I even have a couple of phones that have no answering machine...the really old kind that only plug into a phone jack. It is part of my "Girl Scout always prepared there could be an emergency" mindset.

Ten years ago when we had a massive windstorm and no electricity and spotty wireless coverage, I was able to use them to make phone calls.
Yeah, I have lived through too many blizzards, hurricanes and Comcast outages. I do not trust internet phones. The phones these providers give seem only to have a 4 hour battery life. I also am so old fashioned, that I have one very old corded telephone; only to be used for emergencies. The battery powered cordless phones do not have a very long battery, during a severe emergency.

I actually need to replace the cord on it..

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have just cell phones. We are up to 3 and eventually it’ll be 4 so that’s plenty to pay for. I was nervous about not having a home phone at first so we switched to one of those internet based services. We always seemed to have the spam calls when I sat down to school with the kids! One day I realized we hadn’t had any in a long time. And that’s how I realized the home phone hadn’t been working and we were just fine! We had also cut cable tv and its been nice saving a little here and there.

The “bonus” at the moment is getting looong texts from DD when DS is getting on her nerves or acting up. 😏

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes we still have our landline,and we have a cell phone but it's not a smart phone...just an old fashioned flip.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We dropped our landline after all these years and have an internet phone. But I never use it. I use my cell phone. I mostly text. I prefer texting over phone calls.