Question Of The Day - Thursday 26 July

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Paternal- Emmett & Gladys
Maternal- Raymond & Lucille (Their first names were actually Floyd & Minnie, but they both legally changed to their middle names.)

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad's parents are Marlen and Jean, both still alive. My mom's parents are Vernon and Jeanette, my grandma died almost 5 years ago though. My middle name is for both of my grandmas: Jeane.

My great great grandma died about 14 years ago when I was 18. Her name was Alvina. When my great great grandpa died in the 50s (I think) my grandma bought a double headstone but for her it said 1898 to 19-- thinking she would die in the 20th century, but she died in 2004. :lol:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
But you still know their names. Unless somebody never had any connection with one of their parents, I would think you would still know at least a name.
Not necessarily. My Mom was born out of wedlock. My Grandmother, who was a teenager, would not tell anyone the Father's name. People in the family did suspect who he could've been, but, even after several years of searching while doing my family tree and having several DNA tests done, I am only about 95% sure it was that man. Until someone in his family posts their DNA test information on something like GEDMatch (so I can compare mine to theirs), I can't be 100% certain--and, if it's he, he's long dead, so I will never have any contact with him.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maternal - George and Sylvia
Paternal - Frank and Ann (I think it was officially Anna, but she's always gone by Ann)

My paternal grandmother is the only one still living. She'll be 98 in September.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Materal - John and Sally

Paternal - John and Paralee

Both sets of grandparents had a daughter named Dixie.
So my dad had a sister and a wife named Dixie ( my mom ).

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I do know them, but prefer not to say on a public board :paperbag::paperbag::paperbag: I only really knew my maternal grandmother.

A woman on the paternal side of my family put together a huge genealogy of the family. It goes back to The Judith, the ship my greats boarded to come to America in the mid-1700s and continues to the birth of our son. It's really fascinating; I found out that some of the people I worked with at the paper plant were actually cousins from way back when. The book is gigantic.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My maternal grandparents were Ralph and Rose and I've always loved the fact that they had matching initials! I plan to give one of my future children the middle name Rose in hour of my grandmother as it's an unspoken modern tradition for her granddaughters to be named after her - my cousin's middle name is Rose and I share the same middle name as my grandmother (Louise).
I'm not in contact with my father's family as I last saw him when I was a young child since he was never married to my mother nor was he involved much in my early upbringing, so I don't know what my paternal grandparents are called. I would love to get into contact with my father and his family at some point in the future (I don't feel comfortable contacting right now, and I don't think my mother would much either as she doesn't like talking about my father) because it would be nice to know at least their names and basic information about them, even if they didn't really want to get to know me.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grandparents: Bernadette & James, Marjorie & Harold. Great Grandparents: Eva and Clayton, John & Dora