Question Of The Day - Thursday 25 October

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :)

What is the oldest item of clothing you own ?

I've got some socks that I brought nearly 20 years ago, and they are still going strong. They are soft, thick warm ones that I only wear on really very cold days. Which to be honest means I only wear them about 2-3 times a years. Which I guess is why they are still in perfect condition :lol:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm.....

I think my oldest pieces of clothing is my hacking jacket (tweed blazer used for showing/competing horses), or maybe an old rugby shirt from one of dad's tv shows. Either way, they're about 20 years old. Both are still in decent condition, I think, though I've not worn either of them for years.

No...I tell a lie. The oldest item I own is a pair of pale pink legwarmers from when I did ballet (which I quit when I was 10!). So, 26 years old! I still wear them sometimes, mostly for yoga on cold days.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a picture of me when I was pregnant. OMG I still wear that shirt and it was my mom's before that.
I also have a pair of boots from way longer than that.
I'm not a clothes person and only buy when I have to.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I have—and sometimes wear—my dad’s shirt that he had when he served in the Army during WWII. It’s 76 years old now. The collar is a little worn but otherwise it’s in great shape. The members of the Greatest Generation and those who went through the Great Depression knew how to take care of their things!

196954D6-5D29-43FC-9A19-16A78238A730.jpeg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have my great grandfathers baptism gown from the early 1900's. It's in a display case to protect it.

Of my own, some shirts from evens I went to 15-20 years ago and a pair of PJ pants from 15 years ago. The shirts are fine but rough so I don't wear them anymore. The pants are falling apart and won't last much longer.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have—and sometimes wear—my dad’s shirt that he had when he served in the Army during WWII. It’s 76 years old now. The collar is a little worn but otherwise it’s in great shape. The members of the Greatest Generation and those who went through the Great Depression knew how to take care of their things!

View attachment 259001
Tobermory Tobermory - God Bless First Sergeant Dad!

Mine's easy - a Pendleton shirt bought in 1973, just before my Dad came to visit as school. When he wasn't in uniform, Dad practically lived in one exactly like it. Forty-five years ago. It was sort of a joke at first....

redshirt.jpg

There it is just a few years ago. Yes, I still wear it.

What? It's a perfectly good shirt. Keeps you warm and cool at the same time!

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Norwegian bunad, I guess. To be honest, i kind of hate it. :lol: But my grandmother would never forgive me If I sold it, so it keeps on hanging in my wardrobe. I guess it’s about 60 years old, since these things often gets handed down in families. My mom and grandmother both used the one I have.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The oldest clothing piece I own is a short sleeve sweater my mom had in college around '48 or '49. It has shrunk over the years so it is child size small now but I can't bear to part with it.

The oldest piece of clothing of mine is probably a t-shirt from college from 1970. Again, too small to wear, but I keep it for sentimental value. Modern compared to some other pieces that other folks have.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably my high school letter jacket. My weight has gone up and down significantly since high school, so I got rid of most of my clothing after I gained the Freshman 15 (for me it was like the Freshman 100) in college. Then when I lost weight, I got rid of most of my bigger clothes.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some white slacks that are close to 40 years old. I bought them to wear when I volunteered at a hospital but had to put them away when I actually worked in a hospital. I wasn't medical staff, so couldn't wear them for seven years. I still wear them now; they are in good shape and are made of a high quality material.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Christening gown (oldest) 56 years
Veil from my First Communion (next oldest) 50 years
Some suits and a few blouses from my career days the late 1990s, I guess I keep for mostly sentimental reasons.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have my Dad's jacket from when he was in the Marines. I actually used to wear it all the time, but it's back in the back of my closet now.