Question Of The Day - Thursday 22 Nov

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

What word do you always misspell ? Or, the word that you always have to think twice about before actually writing it ? :think:

Mine is definitely. I always want to put 'A' where that second 'I' is every time :paranoid:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that's a hard word for a lot of people. I really hate when it's spelled "defiantly". That's an entirely different word! It helps me to remember that the base word is "finite".

"Accommodate" is a hard one for me. I can never remember that it's double c AND double m. I'm glad for predictive text on my phone because it knows how to spell ;).

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The first word that comes to mind is - occasionally. For some reason I always want to put in a double s.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Mine is balsamic...or was. I always had to think about where to put the “l”. I mentioned it to The Spouse about three weeks ago, and he said, “Well it’s just balsam with ‘ic’ on the end,” and that solved the problem for me!

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Necessary.
Before google/autocorrect I worded things differently to just avoid that word altogether because I'm kinda obsessed with spelling things correctly.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I still don't know if Advice or Advise is correct.
What helps me with these is to remember that advise is a verb and advice is a noun. Same with affect and effect. Affect is a verb and effect is a noun.

What I always mess up is typing usually. I know how to spell it , but I seem to type it "ususally" every single time! :p

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are a couple of tricks to remember how to spell some of those word correctly.

"Definitely" has two i's in the middle and is flanked by e's.
"Separate" on the other hand has two a's in the middle and is flanked by e's.
"Cemetery" is another tripper upper. It's all e's.

Then there are these:
"Insure" is how you protect your house and car.
"Assure" is what you do before you reassure.
"Ensure" means that you will see to it that it gets done.

My fingers get all tangled up now, so "usually" is a stumbling block for me too. And it took me a long time to learn to spell "stomach" (one m) and "vacuum" (one c).

Goodness only knows what I type with a cat in my arms.