GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave2:

Do you have any irrational fears and if so what are they ? :paranoid:

For me it’s Butterflies ! :paperbag:
They always seem to want to fly straight at my face.
I’m also not keen on heights either

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crickets. It's funny, I can handle spiders, snakes and scorpions, but a cricket will send me running and screaming.
Also sharks. Don't know why. I live in AZ and have only seen one at Seaworld. The only explanation I have is that I must have been on the USS Indianapolis in a past life. :lol:
It's not just a normal fear, it's a death fear.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the irrational over the top fear of snakes. I don't even like to go into the house where the snakes are at the zoo. I grew up on a farm out in the middle of nowhere so I seen a lot of snakes but I didn't get over it.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have so many.
Spiders, heights, rushing water, large dogs, bees, hornets, snakes, the dark, being in my house alone, wind and thunderstorms, waking up in the middle of the night at midnight...the list goes on and on.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have pretty severe stage fright, or any public speaking really. Big crowds really put me on edge. I hate it when "all eyes are on me".
I also don't like ladders, they freak me out. I'm OK with heights in general, if I feel I have some sort of support, I can even sit on the edge of a cliff, but only sit, I can't stand. I guess I have a fear of falling?

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have pretty severe stage fright, or any public speaking really. Big crowds really put me on edge. I hate it when "all eyes are on me".
That's a big one for me too. I couldn't even present in a class of around 15 students in school without feeling sick and shaking for a while after I was done.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poisonous Snakes, Redback & Black Widow Spiders, Scorpions, Sting Ray, Sharks, Airplanes, Driving on the Freeway. Basically anything that can kill me.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From least to most weird: rats, mice, heights, complete darkness, enclosed (or seemingly enclosed) places, wide open spaces, crowds (my idea of a crowd is probably a lot smaller than most people!), most masks--especially the clear-ish ones with some facial features on them, being alone in the house, silence or just white noise, people knocking on my door, and most fruit, including some berries.

The fruit thing is pretty bad; however, I am not alone in it. It is a type of cibophobia, and most people who have a fear of fruit rank the one I fear the most as their biggest fear of all of them. I cannot even say the word or see pictures of it, but, the scariest ones are typically red and sort of round-ish. In my house, we call them "yickies." There is a restaurant that we call "Yickiebees" that I cannot go to. Technically, it makes me scared and it also makes me feel physically ill to see or to think about. I am feeling sick now, so I should stop thinking of it. I can eat and touch oranges, limes, tangerines, clementines, grapefruit, kumquats, and lemons, raspberries, blackberries, and mulberries. I can touch and see all other berries, but I do not like the smell. I cannot touch, see, or smell all other fruits without getting deeply afraid and sick. If a picture of one touches me, I have to disinfect myself, especially if it is the aforementioned one.

We have one grocery store and a Drug Mart in my small town. The grocery store just moved their lettuce so that it is next to yickies. I can no longer buy lettuce there. Drug Mart keeps its lettuce across from a yicky display. I cannot get that close to them, so lettuce must be purchased at a store 25 minutes from my house.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Spiders, a severe phobia, I cannot view a pic of them. Driving on the freeway, enclosed spaces, there are more........

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I share your pain, my sister and I both have an irrational fear of dentists.
I love dentistry. If it wasn't so expensive, I would be there all the time. The only thing that scares me is the bill at the end, so I never go.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I used to have pretty bad hemophobia, so much so that I'd faint every time I saw blood on TV or in a movie. I wouldn't really have time to think about it. I'd just come round from fainting to a room full of anxious looking faces and ask "Oh, was there blood in that movie?"

:lol:

I got a bit better when I started getting pierced and tattooed, although I wouldn't actually watch what was going on when my tattoos were being done. I got a lot better when I started taking care of feral cats. Some of them have had some horrible wounds that I've looked at while the vet is treating them.

Now I actually watch medical documentaries where you can see surgery being performed on people or animals and it doesn't phase me.

I still fainted when I dropped a sofa on my foot and knocked my toenail off though.

:disturbed:

I have been told my fear of dentists is irrational.
I love going to the dentist almost as much as I love getting tattooed.

Spiders is the main one I have, I think.
I used to work in an office of six people and I was the only woman there. The guys used to call me to come and pick up spiders and put them outside as they were all too scared to touch them.

;)

I cannot even say the word or see pictures of it, but, the scariest ones are typically red and sort of round-ish.
I wonder if you have an allergy to them? Or if you ate one once and it made you really ill? I remember watching a documentary about a man who had a phobia of baked beans after throwing up when he ate them as a kid. His phobia was so bad he couldn't even look at anything the same colour as the Heinz baked bean can.