Question Of The Day - Thursday 15 June

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone forgot Rocky Mountain Oysters. At least, that's what we call them in the west.
Bull/hog balls. Fried. Actually, I have no idea if I hate them or not. They are not going in my mouth.

I'm one of the few here that loves liver. I will make a meal with just liver and creamed spinach.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bull/hog balls. Fried. Actually, I have no idea if I hate them or not. They are not going in my mouth.
Aren't they from lambs? Haha, I suppose that depends where you are and what the farmers are growing. But, um, yeah, not going in my mouth, nope. I don't have any tolerance for any weird meat products.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Couscous. I cannot stand the sand-like texture :cringe: And fresh tomatos and tapioca.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are some foods I have never tried like rattlesnake, alligator, bear. But I like all the ones I eat. I can't think of anything that I can say I really don't like it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Watergate salad. Just looking at it is gross!

Eggplant and okra are the only 2 other things that come to mind. I won't eat an artichoke whole; but if it's like spinach and artichoke dip it's ok. It's the look I think.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watergate salad. Just looking at it is gross!
I didn't know what that was so I googled it. I guess I've always just heard it called Jello salad. And, oh yeah, Jello salads with Cool Whip are gross! Especially that one with cottage cheese, ick. I like cottage cheese but mixing it with Jello and Cool Whip should be a crime :lol:. Who came up with those anyway? I suppose they're holdovers from the '50s when they stuck everything in a Jello mold.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't know what that was so I googled it. I guess I've always just heard it called Jello salad. And, oh yeah, Jello salads with Cool Whip are gross! Especially that one with cottage cheese, ick. I like cottage cheese but mixing it with Jello and Cool Whip should be a crime :lol:. Who came up with those anyway? I suppose they're holdovers from the '50s when they stuck everything in a Jello mold.
Yes!! So GROSS!! Those things just do not go together!

My Grandma loved to make those for holidays. She married my Grandfather in 1945 so maybe it is the generation! :lol: I really am not a picky eater; but there is nothing I like about those salads...taste, texture, color... I can't talk about it anymore.

Pretzel salad is one that kind of hovers between hate and tolerate. Whats good about stale pretzels? I don't get it. :dunno: Put it in a graham cracker crust and it'd be good! ;)

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some foods I have never tried like rattlesnake, alligator, bear. But I like all the ones I eat. I can't think of anything that I can say I really don't like it.
Alligator is very good, about like the proverbial chicken. We usually eat it fried on a stick. Only the tail meat is eaten, but I guess an alligator is mostly head, teeth, tail, and thick skin anyway.

Rattlesnake is soft, almost mushy, and bland, but you'd starve to death if that's all you had to eat because it's all tiny bones and not much meat. Ostrich, on the other hand, is firm and has a bit of a gamey taste. It's not my cup of tea. Bison is very, very lean, almost too much so. It tastes a lot like beef. Looks like it, too. You have to add a bit of fat or it'll be dried shoe leather. Longhorn cow is about the same.

Conch is so tough they have to beat the stuffing out of it to tenderize it or chop it in small pieces and put it into fritters so it's chewable. The first people to eat it must have been starving. It's not worth the effort to me. Abalone is about the same, though not as tough. Strong, fishy taste. Octopus and squid are great if not overcooked. If they're overcooked, it's like trying to eat a rubber chew toy.

Fried crickets don't taste bad, but the legs will get into your teeth. That's not good.

I've eaten mountain or prairie "oysters" but didn't really like them at all. They're a bit chewy and the taste is like, well, consider the source and you'll get the idea. Real oysters, however, are delicious and I can eat them just about any way, including raw. No, they're not slimy. They're slick and smooth and a bit briny.

Frog legs are OK, mostly like a tiny chicken wing "drum". The meat is white and not quite soft. You'd have to decimate a whole pond to get enough to make a good meal.

Crawfish, A.K.A. mudbugs, are delicious. They're a lot of trouble for a tiny bit of meat, but it's worth it. They're breeding much larger ones where the tail its almost as large as the head. And, yes, I do suck the head for all the good juices. Live ones are boiled in a spicy water along with corn and small potatoes. The tails are fried or used in etouffe, gumbo, etc. Definitely worth the effort.

Venison is just not my thing. The time's I've eaten it, it's been dry and very gamey. I'm told it wasn't properly field dressed. I'll pass on it.

Escargot (snails) are delicious! They're a bit of a pain to prepare and taste somewhat like a crimini mushroom in garlic sauce. A very expensive crimini mushroom.

I'd like to eat a truffle (or a bit of it) but on my budget, it's not likely to happen. The closest I'm likely to come is cheap truffle oil, the kind where they wave a truffle over the oil and that's it.

I just can't get into the idea of eating flowers. It makes me think of a grazing cow.

All in all, I prefer a really good steak, cooked medium-rare. Ahhh, bliss!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm another fussy vegetarian. I won't eat meat or fish. Don't know if I like it or not, I'm just not going to eat it.

The one thing I have tried and absolutely hate is natto. W Willowy will know what I mean. It's fermented soy beans, smells like old socks and looks like snot.

:barf:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm another fussy vegetarian. I won't eat meat or fish. Don't know if I like it or not, I'm just not going to eat it.

The one thing I have tried and absolutely hate is natto. W Willowy will know what I mean. It's fermented soy beans, smells like old socks and looks like snot.

:barf:
Now I love tofu but that natto sounds gross. I've never heard of it.

Muffy

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
This is very interesting! There's not much I won't eat- but I hate prepackaged sandwiches-something about soggy bread. :barfgreen: :barf:
I love seafood and meat IF it's cooked in bread crumbs or gravy. I hate Sushi-the thought of raw fish makes me :barf:.
I have tried kale in a salad-as long as with vinegar to kill the bitter taste-then I can eat it.

oh I hate soggy veggies-like cook them in water too long-broccoli for one. they have to be steam cooked only.

I actually like liver but it has to be cooked with butter and onions. By itself nope and people often overcook it. My mom was the only one who liked it. Jon loves Liver-that reminds me-something I can make for him-liver and onions-there's frozen liver in a box in frozen section of grocer and it doesn't come out bad. But I prefer gravies with my meat-so butter and onions makes it taste less foul. :bunny:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any kind of organ meat. I even like Brussels sprouts cooked in a pan with bacon grease, then served with the bacon crumbled over.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No raw tomatoes EVER. Also, I don't like hot foods at all. I have a friend who makes a chili that is simply inedible because of the ridiculous amount of peppers he puts in it.