Question Of The Day - Thursday 15 June

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

Sorry for the lateness of today's question - I seem to be behind with everything today :paperbag:

What foods do you absolutely hate ?

I hate celery :barfgreen: & I'm not keen on anything hot & spicy either :headshake:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anchovies and Wasabi.

They are the only foods that I find THAT terrible, that I would gag violently and spew them out, then use whatever means necessary to remove the taste from my mouth. Any of the lingering taste is absolutely awful. Torture! Could really make me throw up.

I dislike many other foods, but I wouldn't react badly to them compared to those two.

Not exaggerating nor simply being dramatic - It's that bad :dunno:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
hot & spicy, cilantro, slimy foods like steamer clams... yuck

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am the same way with foods like steamer clams. I will not eat an oyster. The only other food I won't eat is asparagus, I know it is considered a delicacy but I don't care for it. My father raised asparagus which I guess is a bit of a feat for an home gardener. I never developed a taste for it. I don't care for apricots or plums either but it is a texture thing. I like the flavor it's just the texture of the whole fruit that I don't care for.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Eggs. One of my earliest memories is being made to sit at the table until I ate my eggs. Hours later, my mother finally sent me off to bed with my eyes sore from crying. To me eggs smell like raw sewage and I have offended more than one hostess who assured me that her eggs were different. For years I told people that I was deathly allergic to them just so no one would insist I try their version of the foulest food on earth.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eggs. One of my earliest memories is being made to sit at the table until I ate my eggs. Hours later, my mother finally sent me off to bed with my eyes sore from crying. To me eggs smell like raw sewage and I have offended more than one hostess who assured me that her eggs were different. For years I told people that I was deathly allergic to them just so no one would insist I try their version of the foulest food on earth.
When I was a kid I would not eat eggs. My mother would hide them in my food and I would throw up every time.

I absolutely hate meat and seafood. I hate hot and spicy and all greens except for kale. I could eat my weight in kale.

Muffy

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Onions. Can't stand the smell, texture or taste of them. Same with lemons. If I order tea and it has the slightest hint that a lemon touched the glass, I will have a fit.

For years I told people that I was deathly allergic to them just so no one would insist I try their version of the foulest food on earth.
I AM deathly allergic to bananas, but people still try to shove them in my face.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw oysters and boiled okra. I like oyster stew and fried oysters, and fried okra. Just don't like either of them when they're slimy.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
It's liver, hands down. It's the vilest, most foul-smelling pseudo food I ever experienced. I can detect one molecule of any form of liver in a thousand pounds of other stuff. I really wanted to try haggis until I found out it had liver in it. My mother used to get me out of the house by cooking liver. I wouldn't return until even the stench was gone. I don't even like to think about it!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thee are some foods that i've tried and hated, and then there are others that i simply will never try.

foods that i've tried and hated: liver (it's the aftertaste that i just can't handle), rutabaga (but may just be how it was prepared), pomegranates, and ham hocks (just......:barfgreen:).

foods that i'll never try: cooked greens (with the exception of spinach), anchovies, okra (fried/oven fried is fine, but not prepared any other way).

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bananas
Hard boiled eggs
Green bell peppers
Cilantro
Black licorice
Oysters
Any strong tasting fish
Seaweed
Organ meats
Brussel sprouts
Okra unless it's fried

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never hated most foods, some I don't like, but will tolerate. One that comes to mind that I have tried and never will again is sushi. I have lived around lakes all my life, and have fished a lot. Walking around the lake and seeing and smelling all those dead fish has turned me off to eating most of them. I ate sushi once in Las Vegas, it was rolled around a filling and looked good. When I bit into it and the smell hit my nose, and especially the texture of raw fish, I had a horrible time getting rid of it without spewing it all over everyone at the table. All I could think of (and remember) is it was like biting into a carp I had just caught, YUCKKKK!!!! :barf:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never hated most foods, some I don't like, but will tolerate. One that comes to mind that I have tried and never will again is sushi. I have lived around lakes all my life, and have fished a lot. Walking around the lake and seeing and smelling all those dead fish has turned me off to eating most of them. I ate sushi once in Las Vegas, it was rolled around a filling and looked good. When I bit into it and the smell hit my nose, and especially the texture of raw fish, I had a horrible time getting rid of it without spewing it all over everyone at the table. All I could think of (and remember) is it was like biting into a carp I had just caught, YUCKKKK!!!! :barf:
Yeah I agree. I won't eat sushi either. I have tried a few different kinds. All with cooked fish. My issue is more with the nori paper (seaweed) that they use to wrap it with. It tastes like low tide smells. It's just nasty.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Raw oysters, any kind of clams, eggplant (slimy nasty thing it is. I refuse to eat ratatouille), okra (same reason), cream cheese, sour cream

For most of the foods that I absolutely refuse to eat, I think it's a texture thing.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope I didn't offend anyone. There seemed to be quite a few vegetarians in this forum.
Muffy
I'm one of the vegetarian on this board, and though I don't miss eating meat, I don't hate it either. Well except for liver.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kale. I just do not understand the enthusiasm for it. There has not been one single way it's prepared I can mange to eat.
Very few other things. I like most foods and even those few I don't, there are ways of preparing them I enjoy. Fennel is one of them - not a fan of licorice/anise flavors but if done right I'm ok with it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love sushi now, but when I was a kid I just couldn't get past the idea of raw fish so I would only eat California rolls, lol. I love the nori (I'll eat sheets of it plain) and most of the fish. I don't care for salmon nigiri because salmon needs to be frozen before being served raw and that makes it mushy. I'll eat it if it's there but not if I can choose something else. Yellowtail is way better. But it shouldn't smell! Don't ever eat smelly sushi, there's your PSA for today :D. The vinegared rice should be the only odor; only rotting fish has a smell.

I won't eat shellfish. Shrimp, crab, lobster. OK, I'll eat lobster or crab meat that has been removed from the exoskeleton and used in something else (like California rolls or lobster dip, etc.) but there is no way I'm going to crack open the exoskeleton to get at the meat. And no shrimp; the texture is like bugs. Plus they look like bugs too.

I can't eat anything slimy or mushy---I have a weak (strong?) gag reflex. My mom said I would gag when she tried to feed me baby food from a jar, lol. So even back then I couldn't. She had to coarsely mash it herself so I could eat it. But that's a texture thing not an aversion to the food exactly. I don't care for the flavor of eggplant but a good eggplant parm is OK. I don't like jicama. . .its sudden popularity in veggie platters annoys me. It has no flavor and a weird texture, no thanks. I don't like the texture of plums and some pears. I can't stomach "weird" meat, and even regular meat better not have gristle or chewy fat.

But mostly I'm not too picky.