Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community
Share A Funny Cat Story To Win Gwen Cooper's Book! Click here for details

Question Of The Day - Thursday 11 October

Discussion in 'The Cat Lounge' started by GemsGem, Oct 11, 2018.

1. GemsGem

GemsGem Thread Starter Mentor Staff Member Mentor

Dec 4, 2013
    England
    Hi everyone :)

Did you have any pets while you were growing up ? If so, what ? :petcat:

We had a house full of different pets while I was growing up. Cats, dogs (dobermans), rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, fish and a tortoise. :D

maggiedemi and raysmyheart purraised this.

2. aliceneko

aliceneko TCS Member Super Cat

Dec 28, 2017
    London, England
    I had a goldfish (originally I had a white fish as well, which sadly died shortly after I got him) which I got for my fifth birthday. She's still alive, and is now an impressive 14 years old.

maggiedemi, GemsGem and raysmyheart purraised this.

3. Tobermorey

Tobermorey TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 13, 2017
    Oregon
    We had two dogs and assorted tropical fish, gerbils, hamsters and a turtle named Toby. I loved cats, but Mom said she didn’t like them, so no cats growing up. But when I got my first cat—Sara the extraordinary tortie—when I was a senior in college, Mom and Dad fell completely and totally in love and tried to convince me to give Sara to them. I got them their own cat, kept mine, and the entire family became committed cat people! :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    rgwanner, maggiedemi, margecat and 2 others purraised this.

4. sivyaleah

sivyaleah TCS Member Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Small turtles that weren't even allowed in our house - they lived at an aunt's apartment down the street.
    A dog for a week. Brother was terrified of it. Mom hated the responsibility of it when everyone else was at school/work.
    Cheap fish in a tank for a short time.
    My parent didn't like animals much at all.

maggiedemi and GemsGem purraised this.

5. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Being Navy, my parents didn't want a cat or dog because of the hassle of moving. So we only had birds and fish---easy to re-home when relocating. Until I was 10, and the neighbor had a box of kittens at her garage sale. . .we took the 2 females. They moved with us twice after that, and yes it is a hassle for military families. But oh well. They both lived to be 21!

maggiedemi, margecat, GemsGem and 1 other person purraised this.

6. kashmir64

kashmir64 TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 9, 2017
    Arizona
    I had dogs, cats, a snake, a mouse (pet, not food for the snake) and a horse. Plus, I worked on my grandmother's cattle ranch in the summer where we had dogs, cats, chickens, cattle and even a tortoise.

7. Mother Dragon

Mother Dragon Cat slave Super Cat

Oct 17, 2006
    Suburban Houston, TX
    I had two collies and some mutts, several red-eared turtles (didn't everyone?), an aquarium full of fish that died about as fast as we put them into it, a couple of very chatty parakeets, and a sand fiddler crab.

I'm told we had a black cat that would encourage me to pull its tail while I was in my little jumper swing. Also a pit bull that was a total lover. I vaguely remember the cat but not that dog.

maggiedemi, margecat and GemsGem purraised this.

8. muffy

muffy TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 9, 2014
    Maryland
    When I was a kid we had 3 dogs, 2 cats, goldfish and those little painted turtles.

9. micknsnicks2mom

micknsnicks2mom TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 15, 2014
    ...with the cats...
    we had cats (always cats), dogs, and various hamsters and gerbils that belonged to school classrooms and were just visiting during school holidays. and for over a year, i had a momma sheep and her baby.

10. MonaLyssa33

MonaLyssa33 TCS Member Alpha Cat

Mar 10, 2018
    Minneapolis
    I lived with my parents until I was 31, so it's hard for me to separate the pets I had before age 18 with after because I didn't really feel like an adult until I officially moved out. I've had 3 dogs, 9 cats, 4 parakeets, and 1 guinea pig my entire life. The dogs were Bart, Lucy, and Maya (Maya is still alive and lives with my parents). The cats were Casey, Milo, Mistletoe, Willow, Lillias, Fiona, Kirby, Remy, and Maisie (Fiona and Kirby live with my parents, Maisie and Remy are mine). The parakeets were Skippy, Snickers, Skippy II, and Clover. The guinea pig was Tobey.

11. MoochNNoodles

MoochNNoodles Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Apr 30, 2005
    Where my cats are
    I had 3 cats and 1 dog growing up. My first cat was Tinsel; adopted at age 2. Glory came along when I was in the 4th grade. Tiger married into my family when I was about 12. Tasha; the dog, was adopted for my mother when I was in the 8th grade. My mom brought another dog home from The Dollar Store when I was in college. She just crossed The Bridge this summer.

12. Lari

Lari TCS Member Super Cat

Nov 18, 2017
    Goldfish. My brother had a turtle for years, but it lived in his room so I almost never saw it. I convinced my parents to let me buy a hamster in high school, but it wasn't friendly and didn't live very long. I guess that's what you get from a pet store.

My parents aren't huge animal people.

13. Winchester

Winchester TCS Member Veteran

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
    Cats, of course. All indoor-outdoor. Some dogs. There was a gerbil (Sam) somewhere along the line who belonged to my sister. A couple bunnies. My mom was always a big cat lover.

14. jcat

jcat Mo(w)gli's can opener Staff Member Moderator

Feb 13, 2003
    Mo(w)gli Monster's Lair
    We didn't have birds or rabbits as pets, though my grandmother had a parrot, and my great-uncle a mynah, and we bottlefed baby rabbits for later release. We had just about everything else, including multiple large dogs, cats, rodents, reptiles, amphibians, a donkey, a pony, a tarantula, skunk and squirrel. My parents weren't good about drawing a line when it came to animals. :lol:

MonaLyssa33, maggiedemi, margecat and 2 others purraised this.

15. Columbine

Columbine TCS Member Staff Member Advisor

Feb 27, 2015
    The kitty playground
    Yep - CATS, of course :winkcat: The first cat turned up and moved in when I was 3, and we just acquired more over time. We mostly had 4-6 cats (as one passed, another appeared), and all but 2 were strays that turned up and asked to move in.

We had fish in the pond at my main childhood home (from ages 1-15), but I don't remember doing much more than feeding them, and they certainly didn't have names.

I got a horse when I was 13, too, and a Labrador for my 18th birthday. I can't begin to imagine a life without my furbabies :redheartpump:

MonaLyssa33, margecat, GemsGem and 1 other person purraised this.

16. maggiedemi

maggiedemi TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 26, 2017
    Between Massena & Potsdam NY
    It all started with a stray tortie/calico that showed up pregnant. Kitter gave birth to Tiger, Princess, Playful, and J (named after myself).

We had a rabbit named Thumper that my cousin didn't want anymore.
    Then after he died, we had 3 rabbits Trixie, Fluffy, and ?.

Then we got hamsters Chip & Dale.

Then we adopted Mally (Marshmallow) and Caramel from a lady who said they were both girls, but Mally turned out to be a boy and got Caramel pregnant. She gave birth to Butterscotch and Oreo.

MonaLyssa33 purraised this.

17. Norachan

Norachan Moderator Staff Member Moderator

May 27, 2013
    Mount Fuji, Japan
    We always had cats. My parents were cat people and local strays used to find their way to our house.

I remember 2 rabbits, one huge white one and one little grey one, gerbils, guinea pigs and gold fish.

No ponies though, although I pestered my parents for one relentlessly.

:lol2:

maggiedemi purraised this.

18. rgwanner

rgwanner TCS Member Alpha Cat

Feb 1, 2017
    Atlanta
    I did not have pets growing up. We had feral cats around. I would play with the kittens when they were small. But my mom said no cats or other animals in the house, She and my dad grew up on farms and animal belonged outside. They just were not animal people.

But both of my brothers and my sister and myself all got cats and/or dogs when we moved out. Don't know where we got our love of animals - it certainly is not inherited!

maggiedemi purraised this.