Question Of The Day - Thursday 11 October

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :)

Did you have any pets while you were growing up ? If so, what ? :petcat:

We had a house full of different pets while I was growing up. Cats, dogs (dobermans), rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, fish and a tortoise. :D

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
We had two dogs and assorted tropical fish, gerbils, hamsters and a turtle named Toby. I loved cats, but Mom said she didn’t like them, so no cats growing up. But when I got my first cat—Sara the extraordinary tortie—when I was a senior in college, Mom and Dad fell completely and totally in love and tried to convince me to give Sara to them. I got them their own cat, kept mine, and the entire family became committed cat people! :)

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Small turtles that weren't even allowed in our house - they lived at an aunt's apartment down the street.
A dog for a week. Brother was terrified of it. Mom hated the responsibility of it when everyone else was at school/work.
Cheap fish in a tank for a short time.
My parent didn't like animals much at all.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being Navy, my parents didn't want a cat or dog because of the hassle of moving. So we only had birds and fish---easy to re-home when relocating. Until I was 10, and the neighbor had a box of kittens at her garage sale. . .we took the 2 females. They moved with us twice after that, and yes it is a hassle for military families. But oh well. They both lived to be 21!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had dogs, cats, a snake, a mouse (pet, not food for the snake) and a horse. Plus, I worked on my grandmother's cattle ranch in the summer where we had dogs, cats, chickens, cattle and even a tortoise.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I had two collies and some mutts, several red-eared turtles (didn't everyone?), an aquarium full of fish that died about as fast as we put them into it, a couple of very chatty parakeets, and a sand fiddler crab.

I'm told we had a black cat that would encourage me to pull its tail while I was in my little jumper swing. Also a pit bull that was a total lover. I vaguely remember the cat but not that dog.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lived with my parents until I was 31, so it's hard for me to separate the pets I had before age 18 with after because I didn't really feel like an adult until I officially moved out. I've had 3 dogs, 9 cats, 4 parakeets, and 1 guinea pig my entire life. The dogs were Bart, Lucy, and Maya (Maya is still alive and lives with my parents). The cats were Casey, Milo, Mistletoe, Willow, Lillias, Fiona, Kirby, Remy, and Maisie (Fiona and Kirby live with my parents, Maisie and Remy are mine). The parakeets were Skippy, Snickers, Skippy II, and Clover. The guinea pig was Tobey.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had 3 cats and 1 dog growing up. My first cat was Tinsel; adopted at age 2. Glory came along when I was in the 4th grade. Tiger married into my family when I was about 12. Tasha; the dog, was adopted for my mother when I was in the 8th grade. My mom brought another dog home from The Dollar Store when I was in college. She just crossed The Bridge this summer.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goldfish. My brother had a turtle for years, but it lived in his room so I almost never saw it. I convinced my parents to let me buy a hamster in high school, but it wasn't friendly and didn't live very long. I guess that's what you get from a pet store.

My parents aren't huge animal people.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We didn't have birds or rabbits as pets, though my grandmother had a parrot, and my great-uncle a mynah, and we bottlefed baby rabbits for later release. We had just about everything else, including multiple large dogs, cats, rodents, reptiles, amphibians, a donkey, a pony, a tarantula, skunk and squirrel. My parents weren't good about drawing a line when it came to animals. :lol:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep - CATS, of course :winkcat: The first cat turned up and moved in when I was 3, and we just acquired more over time. We mostly had 4-6 cats (as one passed, another appeared), and all but 2 were strays that turned up and asked to move in.

We had fish in the pond at my main childhood home (from ages 1-15), but I don't remember doing much more than feeding them, and they certainly didn't have names.

I got a horse when I was 13, too, and a Labrador for my 18th birthday. I can't begin to imagine a life without my furbabies :redheartpump:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It all started with a stray tortie/calico that showed up pregnant. Kitter gave birth to Tiger, Princess, Playful, and J (named after myself).

We had a rabbit named Thumper that my cousin didn't want anymore.
Then after he died, we had 3 rabbits Trixie, Fluffy, and ?.

Then we got hamsters Chip & Dale.

Then we adopted Mally (Marshmallow) and Caramel from a lady who said they were both girls, but Mally turned out to be a boy and got Caramel pregnant. She gave birth to Butterscotch and Oreo.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We always had cats. My parents were cat people and local strays used to find their way to our house.

I remember 2 rabbits, one huge white one and one little grey one, gerbils, guinea pigs and gold fish.

No ponies though, although I pestered my parents for one relentlessly.

:lol2:

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did not have pets growing up. We had feral cats around. I would play with the kittens when they were small. But my mom said no cats or other animals in the house, She and my dad grew up on farms and animal belonged outside. They just were not animal people.

But both of my brothers and my sister and myself all got cats and/or dogs when we moved out. Don't know where we got our love of animals - it certainly is not inherited!